Why do people do this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
Do you pass cars that are stopped at the lights? Despite knowing that for the most part they are faster than you?
Yes, then what's your problem with the woman doing the same...

What if that woman is a 20-something testosterone-fuelled male in full Lycra gear and £2K bike?

Bit of a twat then, innee?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Just curious if it's something people do on purpose like when a car just has to overtake you or force or habit like driving in the middle lane religiously on a motorway.
That's exactly it, I think. She probably drives the same way as she cycles. And vice versa.

tadpole

I believe the implication was that you'd be less likely to handwave inconsiderate cycling away with "people are different" if the offender wasn't female. Specifically if it was some bloke with an over inflated idea of his cycling prowess.
Redcards obviously welcome to correct me if I've got it wrong.
I do not consider what has been described as "inconsiderate cycling"

tadpole

Why not? If you're inconveniencing people by doing something both easily avoidable and unneccessary it is the very definition of inconsiderate.
You admit to doing the very same things to queuing cars. Why not sit at the back of the queue of traffic, and not get in the way of cars that are faster than you?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I was cycling home last night and from Bank to Old St Roundabout where there is a set of traffic lights about every 150m.

There was about 3 cyclists in front of me all going reasonably quick so I was quite happy to tuck in behind them. At the second set of red lights where everyone is stopped a lady cycles past all of us and then stops in front of everyone. The lights go green and it turns out she is pretty slow, everyone overtakes her which is a bit of a faff but never mind. Turns out the the next set of lights are red and once again about 50 seconds later she cycles past everyone and stops in front.

I think we hit approximately 5 red lights and she did the same thing every single time. I don't understand the mentality that makes people do this. If someone is faster than you then wait behind them at the lights! It's not a one off either as I've noticed quite a few people seem to feel obliged to push to the front of a stationary set of bikes no matter how slow they are. Surely you must notice the stream of bikes attempting to get around you at every green light or are some people really that oblivious.
It's a women, why do you bother mentioning it.:whistle:

Top Bottom