Why do people flock to Sportives but not to Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Simple enough question ... Sportives are growing like topsy and a fairly expensive. Audax is cheap, and social with a strong community but doesn't seem to attract growth at anything like the same rate.
Why is this?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Advertising, see adverts for sportives every where, don't see to many Audax advertised. i could be wrong.^_^

Ian193

Über Member
Could it be that Audax rides have time limits and Sportives dont i must admit I've only done one Audax ride and that was 20+ years ago

jim55

Guru
i think its defo the advertising ,you kinda have to ask about them unless ur in the know ,its a bit of unknown to most people ,

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Despite the mix of people you get on Sportives, it is quite clear that many Sportives are sold to those that like the idea of racing but won't/can't/don't actually race. They are quite the event for those who want to complete an event and tell their non-cyclist friends what they did and rejoice in the admiration of the ignorant who think anything over a couple of miles is madness!

Could it be that Audax rides have time limits and Sportives dont i must admit I've only done one Audax ride and that was 20+ years ago

The audax time limits are hardly exclusive though (15-30 kph, i.e. crawling - steady tempo pace).

I don't much like either format's, but I would pick an Audax over a Sportive any day.

DRHysted

Guru
It is advertising in my opinion.
I have attended 3 sportives this year, and known off many others. I have heard about 1 Audax.

Top Bottom