Why do people get so angry, so fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Going up the escalators yesterday and the 'keep moving' left side got blocked by three large, drunk, bruiser-looking foreigners a couple of people ahead of me who presumably didn't know how it works, or just didn't care. The top of the escalator was only maybe ten or fifteen seconds away, so we just sort of grumbled and waited, but a guy two back from me was having none of it: "Keep moving!" he shouted, and when this didn't immediately produce results, he all but screamed "KEEP MOVING!" I turned back and barely had time to say "It's three large, drunk blokes" before we were at the top. The guy had been held up for maybe 15 seconds, and it had made him almost apoplectic with rage. Why can't people just tut and grumble like Brits are supposed to do? All this fury really can't be good for the blood pressure.

Drago

Legendary Member
Angry? ANGRY? Bloody A N G R Y?

Nah, never get angry.

classic33

Leg End Member
Going up the escalators yesterday and the 'keep moving' left side got blocked by three large, drunk, bruiser-looking foreigners a couple of people ahead of me who presumably didn't know how it works, or just didn't care. The top of the escalator was only maybe ten or fifteen seconds away, so we just sort of grumbled and waited, but a guy two back from me was having none of it: "Keep moving!" he shouted, and when this didn't immediately produce results, he all but screamed "KEEP MOVING!" I turned back and barely had time to say "It's three large, drunk blokes" before we were at the top. The guy had been held up for maybe 15 seconds, and it had made him almost apoplectic with rage. Why can't people just tut and grumble like Brits are supposed to do? All this fury really can't be good for the blood pressure.
On crutches at Leeds Station when I'd something similar happen. I offered to go back down to the security office to sort it out, but he just carried on shouting.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it depends on how stressed they are. I know when I'm in a bad mood little things can seem really irritating... but mostly I'm not grumpy so I can just let the irritation glide over me.

But even if I was really irritated I still can't imagine shouting at a stranger, I'd just moan to a friend or family or if no one was there to myself! I do talk to myself on the bike occasionally ;) but mostly I find it a good way to become less stressed!

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just add train times ..appointments..and daily stresses..
It's a bit like the peanuts who won't merge in traffic etc..and hold everything up..

die_aufopferung

Stress and frustration are almost always the source of seemingly inexplicable anger. I'll use myself as an example as I was guilty of it just last week:

We're massively short-staffed at work (maternity, illness, one bloke getting run over by a customer, the usual stuff) leading to too few people trying to do too much work. I'm moving house which is always stressful but additionally many of the things that would normally go smoothly have gone badly - tradesmen not turning up, furniture being damaged during transit, etc. And to top it all, my dad's been in intensive care all month.

Last Thursday I went down to Brighton to visit him. It's not exactly a short trip and since I don't drive, I had to use public transport - given it's about 5 hours of traveling and I didn't want to visit him until I had two clear days in a row so I could have a proper visit rather than trying to make the trip down, spend 10 minutes with him, and immediately leave - and given the above, getting two clear days wasn't easy.

The train down to St Pancras was fine, but on the tube between St Pancras and Victoria some sort of problem occurred, leaving us trapped in a tunnel for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a little under 10 minutes. Still, it's trapped for that time in a hot tube carriage packed with strangers at a time when I really want to be making progress on my journey. The tube eventually pulled into the next stop and the driver announced that there will be further delays so I think "sod that" and get off. It's a reasonably short walk to Victoria; just through Queen's Park, round Buckingham Palace, and down the road. Only 15-20 minutes of walking and infinitely preferable to spending an indeterminate length of time in said hot, packed tube.

But as I walked through Queen's Park, a nice young man stepped out and asked if I'd care to donate money to his boxing club. Now under normal circumstances I'd offer a polite "no thanks" with a smile or if he was persuasive enough I might actually hear him out. But instead everyone around me got to hear me snarl a loud and very aggressive "no". To all those dozens of people milling around the park in earshot, it must have seemed like an outburst of inexplicable anger much like the OP reports.

But it's not inexplicable really - it's the stress and frustration from the house moving, the build up of work, and being further delayed whilst trying to visit a very ill father, and then some random lad trying to hit me up for money. Perhaps that man on the escalator was having a bad day. Or a bad week. Or a bad month. Sometimes - despite our best wishes - we simply can't remain cool enough to tut and grumble.

pplpilot

Guru
ill be honest, i used to be the same, i was typical Mr angry. The last 6/7 years i've chilled out. I had what alcoholics call 'a moment of clarity' I wont go into details.
Now I just shrug off little things that would have riled me, so i'm a few moments/minutes late for something? so what? the world wont end, besides nothing I do nor am I that important. It takes quite a lot for me to to get angry now.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Stress and frustration are almost always the source of seemingly inexplicable anger. I'll use myself as an example as I was guilty of it just last week:

We're massively short-staffed at work (maternity, illness, one bloke getting run over by a customer, the usual stuff) leading to too few people trying to do too much work. I'm moving house which is always stressful but additionally many of the things that would normally go smoothly have gone badly - tradesmen not turning up, furniture being damaged during transit, etc. And to top it all, my dad's been in intensive care all month.

Last Thursday I went down to Brighton to visit him. It's not exactly a short trip and since I don't drive, I had to use public transport - given it's about 5 hours of traveling and I didn't want to visit him until I had two clear days in a row so I could have a proper visit rather than trying to make the trip down, spend 10 minutes with him, and immediately leave - and given the above, getting two clear days wasn't easy.

The train down to St Pancras was fine, but on the tube between St Pancras and Victoria some sort of problem occurred, leaving us trapped in a tunnel for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a little under 10 minutes. Still, it's trapped for that time in a hot tube carriage packed with strangers at a time when I really want to be making progress on my journey. The tube eventually pulled into the next stop and the driver announced that there will be further delays so I think "sod that" and get off. It's a reasonably short walk to Victoria; just through Queen's Park, round Buckingham Palace, and down the road. Only 15-20 minutes of walking and infinitely preferable to spending an indeterminate length of time in said hot, packed tube.

But as I walked through Queen's Park, a nice young man stepped out and asked if I'd care to donate money to his boxing club. Now under normal circumstances I'd offer a polite "no thanks" with a smile or if he was persuasive enough I might actually hear him out. But instead everyone around me got to hear me snarl a loud and very aggressive "no". To all those dozens of people milling around the park in earshot, it must have seemed like an outburst of inexplicable anger much like the OP reports.

But it's not inexplicable really - it's the stress and frustration from the house moving, the build up of work, and being further delayed whilst trying to visit a very ill father, and then some random lad trying to hit me up for money. Perhaps that man on the escalator was having a bad day. Or a bad week. Or a bad month. Sometimes - despite our best wishes - we simply can't remain cool enough to tut and grumble.
Fair point. As is
They might be suffering from a mental illness, they are quite common you know.
which I must confess hadn't occurred to me. I suppose in truth I should be grateful that I'm lucky enough to lead a pretty lo-stress life, and should try to be less quick to judge others who aren't so lucky. Maybe it's to do with the fact that working from home and traveling almost everywhere by bike, I don't often spend time with the other humans, and when I do I quite often find myself thinking 'Just...chill.' (I do my best to help...like slowing down to just below our local 20MPH speed limit if people insist on tailgating me.)

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was going into our local Sainsbury's to get some stamps. There are two doors, one that takes you into the main body of the shop and the other, a wide, double opening which is above the tills and is marked as an exit. However, most folk wanting to use the kiosk to buy stamps, fags or lottery tickets etc simply go in through that door. It saves going into the shop, walking round the tills and duelling with customers waiting for the checkout. As I was going in, a middle aged bloke saw me coming in. On the path he was originally taking he would have left the shop via the space taken by the left hand of the two four foot wide sliding doors, missing me by about three feet or more. Instead he changed tack, taking three or more paces off line to stand square in front of me shouting that I had no business coming in through the wrong door. He looked incredibly angry. I can't have looked particularly threatening, I was dressed in chinos, an outdoor jacket and a flat cap, with a grizzled beard and a pronounced limp. It was obvious he was looking for a confrontation so I settled for drawing myself to full height, and in my best Public Order voice told him to "Get hold of yourself you ridiculous little bastard." This had the desired effect and he scuttled off. It left a very sour taste, and I wonder what he would have done if I hadn't stood my ground. My impression was that he was about to push me back out of the shop. He may have been having a bad day, or he may obsess about rules and conventions. Who knows?

Drago

Legendary Member
Often the ones that get vocal are the least able to back it up when someone digs their heels in and challenges them. Mental illness aside, for regular folk its just a psychological weakness, an inadequacy that compels them to control others, and their psyche doesn't like it one bit when it occasionally discovers they're not actually the boss.

Top Bottom