Why do people get so angry, so fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Going up the escalators yesterday and the 'keep moving' left side got blocked by three large, drunk, bruiser-looking foreigners a couple of people ahead of me who presumably didn't know how it works, or just didn't care. The top of the escalator was only maybe ten or fifteen seconds away, so we just sort of grumbled and waited, but a guy two back from me was having none of it: "Keep moving!" he shouted, and when this didn't immediately produce results, he all but screamed "KEEP MOVING!" I turned back and barely had time to say "It's three large, drunk blokes" before we were at the top. The guy had been held up for maybe 15 seconds, and it had made him almost apoplectic with rage. Why can't people just tut and grumble like Brits are supposed to do? All this fury really can't be good for the blood pressure.

Sudden, overwhelming and unexpected aggression is far more effective. That's why.

Drago

Legendary Member
It has its limits though. If some bloody minded bar steward digs their heels in and calls their bluff they've nowhere left to escalate to.

classic33

Leg End Member
To be fair, trying to negotiate the shockingly poorly laid out station in Leeds is enough to try the patience of a saint.
The over crowded concourse funnels you into a congested main barrier area that seems specifically designed to bring as many people into conflict as possible, and then the single escalator onto the footbridge is insufficient and too narrow.

Especially when someone on crutches is stood on the wrong side...! :whistle:

;):laugh:
I'd to stand in the center because the staff didn't want to risk the crutches getting caught on either side. The stairs in Leeds Station are clearly marked, top and bottom Left - Up, Right - Down anyway. Have been for years.

Last edited:
I got beeped at tonight for being ever so slightly hesitant at a junction in Hove, as I wanted to make sure I didn't run anyone over, there being a lot of pedestrians and cyclists about. Funny thing was, the car beeped after I had made the manouevre - just wanted to get it out of his/her system I guess. Fortunately, I had just got back from a three night retreat at a monastery, so was in a relaxed and forgiving state of mind!
Had something similar a while back... heavy traffic, I'm first at a red, lights change, not really going to gain anything by accelerating away quickly only to slam on the breaks 3 seconds later kind of situation... I must have hesitated for less than a second before starting to pull away and the twerp behind became really annoyed, started beeping aggressively and gesticulating with his arms... so I just stopped (and this is where being a fairly big chap helps) and just got out of the car, smiling, and went and started examining the back of my car... by this point the plonker had become apoplectic... so i carried on looking at the back of my car and then smiled at him and shrugged my shoulders and faked a confused look and said something along the lines of "I thought you were trying to alert me to a problem with my car..." he mouthed something back which I couldn't understand so I waved, carried on faking confusion and slowly got back in my car... not big or cleaver I know but it is fun to wind them up by not playing the game...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Had something similar a while back... heavy traffic, I'm first at a red, lights change, not really going to gain anything by accelerating away quickly only to slam on the breaks 3 seconds later kind of situation... I must have hesitated for less than a second before starting to pull away and the twerp behind became really annoyed, started beeping aggressively and gesticulating with his arms... so I just stopped (and this is where being a fairly big chap helps) and just got out of the car, smiling, and went and started examining the back of my car... by this point the plonker had become apoplectic... so i carried on looking at the back of my car and then smiled at him and shrugged my shoulders and faked a confused look and said something along the lines of "I thought you were trying to alert me to a problem with my car..." he mouthed something back which I couldn't understand so I waved, carried on faking confusion and slowly got back in my car... not big or cleaver I know but it is fun to wind them up by not playing the game...
The definition of the time it takes between the lights going green and someone beeping you is known as a "New York Minute"

Drago

Legendary Member
Many, many years ago I went Christmas shopping in Milton Keynes. Christmas was awful busy for parking, and motorists seeking a space would often crawl along behind peds as they walked back to their cars.

Anyhoo, I'd done my shopping and was loading the boot when a very polite chap pulls up and asks if I'm about to be leaving. I am, and he's welcome to my space.

While I finishing loading some chump in a chav'd up Scooby comes screeching up from the opposite direction. He sits their revving his engine, clearly readying himself to go wheel spinning into my space as I vacate it.

As I start to roll out the space I can see Scooby Chav creeping forwards, and patient Corsa gentleman waiting on my right.

I pull out the space and swing left and stop, completely blocking Chav boy with my knackered old Proton as the polite old feller parked in my space.

If you want to see a public display of anger then the Subaru driver must surely be a contender for the number one spot

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
I never knew there was a "keep moving" side to an escalator.
I always find it odd that people walk up them, why don't you just take the stairs? I like to stand and be carried to the top with no exertion on my part, and I often have a child standing beside me so I'd be getting in their way too.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I always find it odd that people walk up them, why don't you just take the stairs?
You've obviously never been down the tube. There generally are no stairs, just escalators. I always walk up 'em because it's exercise, innit?

Sandra6

Veteran
You've obviously never been down the tube. There generally are no stairs, just escalators. I always walk up 'em because it's exercise, innit?
Last time was when I was 16, so , yeah.
I've used the metro in Newcastle, but I had six kids and a pushchair in tow, nobody was asking me to keep moving!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I always find it odd that people walk up them, why don't you just take the stairs? I like to stand and be carried to the top with no exertion on my part, and I often have a child standing beside me so I'd be getting in their way too.

The custom in London is for lazy peoe to stand on the right so that active or busy people can walk up on the left. Not so hard really is it?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The custom in London is for lazy peoe to stand on the right so that active or busy people can walk up on the left. Not so hard really is it?
What's more you must take a tribe and not change side under any circumstances. Even if it means leaving the rest of your group on the right whilst you stride up the left like a champion amongst men.

On the odd occasion I meet an Angry Person I find drawing myself up my 2metre 105kg frame usually makes them reconsider in the most apologetic fashion. :rolleyes: This is especially effective on a pushbike where height is more difficult to quantify.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
[QUOTE 4737126, member: 9609"]it would make more sense to have the fast lane on the right and the hard shoulder for those who have broken down on the left.[/QUOTE]

True, but then they couldn't say "Stand on the right, hold on tight!" like they do on the (Liverpool) Underground. ;)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I heard on the radio that at one deep tube station where only one escalator is in use they tried to persuade people to stand on both sides, because that would have been the most efficient way to get a lot of people out of the tunnel while a second escalator was being repaired. Such was the ingrained resistance to doing anything other than walking on the left that the experiment failed rapidly.

Top Bottom