Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
EV sales have bounced back in February. Tesla model Y best selling car in many European countries

The original story was the growth in sales had slowed, by the time it gone through the Chinese whispers of social media it was the collapse of EV sales and proof they were doomed. Oh what a world we live in.

CXRAndy

Guru
There's talk of zero growth this year from Tesla. That means they still will sell in the order of 1,800,000 vehicles.

Which likely means far far less ICE vehicles on the roads

classic33

Leg End Member
There's talk of zero growth this year from Tesla. That means they still will sell in the order of 1,800,000 vehicles.

Which likely means far far less ICE vehicles on the roads
And falling sales, worldwide, from 2025. From non other than Musk himself, hinting that yearly EV vehicle sales have peaked. And that it's downhill, just like the Tesla share price, from here on.

icowden

Veteran
And falling sales, worldwide, from 2025. From non other than Musk himself, hinting that yearly EV vehicle sales have peaked. And that it's downhill, just like the Tesla share price, from here on.
It's not quite as simple as that. Sales will continue to sell. Musk is also positioning a new, smaller, cheaper Tesla Model 2 to be produced in 2025 which will likely increase sales. It's Tesla's growth that is starting to stagnate. Tesla now has lots of competition. EV sales aren't suddenly going to dry up, but financial growth is a very different ball game, particularly as prices will start to go down as battery tech gets cheaper.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's not quite as simple as that. Sales will continue to sell. Musk is also positioning a new, smaller, cheaper Tesla Model 2 to be produced in 2025 which will likely increase sales. It's Tesla's growth that is starting to stagnate. Tesla now has lots of competition. EV sales aren't suddenly going to dry up, but financial growth is a very different ball game, particularly as prices will start to go down as battery tech gets cheaper.
Zero increase on sales this year, with sale volumes set to drop next year, for Tesla.

Inadorel

Regular
I have friends who get very angry about electric cars not being any good, and solar power not being the way forward.

They sneer at the eco tyres on my car, but are quiet amazed when they are not more expensive than normal tyres.

Some don't even tolerate electric bikes.

Yet they have electric coffee grinders rather than manual, wrist watches and chainsaws, hedgecutters, an drills, an washing machines...... with no problem.

What do we think is going on ?

I think there is a substantial group of people who just object to change as a matter of principal. Because they dislike (in many cases with good reason) some of the more extreme "Green" policies that make media headlines, they throw away the baby with the bathwater and develop an irrational hatred for anything related to the technology.
I've heard over and over again that solar panels are a waste of money and "don't work in our climate", when it is simply not true. For example, I live in the West Highlands of Scotland, a northerly area with a notoriously wet climate. Between mid March and mid October we are entirely grid independent, and whilst Dec and Jan are non-starters, even in Nov and Feb we can make enough to trickle by off grid if we are careful about appliance use. For about six months of the year we are net producers and sell a fair bit back to the grid. We have a house battery which covers in hours of darkness. When the time comes to replace our current car, we will get an EV, charge it with our free solar electricity, and use the vehicle itself as an extra battery to supplement the panels during solar dips. All this did come at a price, and I can see issues with renewables (particularly the charging infrastructure for EVs in cities, and the unsuitability of many British homes for either solar or heat pumps), but this isn't an excuse for not looking forward and trying out new things where feasible. Personally I get a huge kick out of seeing the stats from the solar and looking at the CO2 we are not generating. I also have to say that although this is probably unworthy of me that I took a fair degree of pleasure when our area had a 48 hour power cut and we were up and running when all the people who had rubbished the solar were sitting in the dark!

I'm 57 - so no one can say that it is just us "old people" who refuse to embrace change :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think one of the biggest issues are parts availability, especially from Chinese EV's, which in turn pushes up insurance as a damaged car may be sat for some time awaiting something simple like a bumper and a wing.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I also have to say that although this is probably unworthy of me that I took a fair degree of pleasure when our area had a 48 hour power cut and we were up and running when all the people who had rubbished the solar were sitting in the dark!
Weren't you tempted to switch all the lights on and blast out a few tunes 😉😁

Jameshow

Veteran
I think there is a substantial group of people who just object to change as a matter of principal. Because they dislike (in many cases with good reason) some of the more extreme "Green" policies that make media headlines, they throw away the baby with the bathwater and develop an irrational hatred for anything related to the technology.
I've heard over and over again that solar panels are a waste of money and "don't work in our climate", when it is simply not true. For example, I live in the West Highlands of Scotland, a northerly area with a notoriously wet climate. Between mid March and mid October we are entirely grid independent, and whilst Dec and Jan are non-starters, even in Nov and Feb we can make enough to trickle by off grid if we are careful about appliance use. For about six months of the year we are net producers and sell a fair bit back to the grid. We have a house battery which covers in hours of darkness. When the time comes to replace our current car, we will get an EV, charge it with our free solar electricity, and use the vehicle itself as an extra battery to supplement the panels during solar dips. All this did come at a price, and I can see issues with renewables (particularly the charging infrastructure for EVs in cities, and the unsuitability of many British homes for either solar or heat pumps), but this isn't an excuse for not looking forward and trying out new things where feasible. Personally I get a huge kick out of seeing the stats from the solar and looking at the CO2 we are not generating. I also have to say that although this is probably unworthy of me that I took a fair degree of pleasure when our area had a 48 hour power cut and we were up and running when all the people who had rubbished the solar were sitting in the dark!

I'm 57 - so no one can say that it is just us "old people" who refuse to embrace change :smile:

For many people I doubt it's a principal thing, more getting by each month / enjoying a holiday or two is higher on thier priorities?

Not everyone has £25k spare and to see it repay for itself over 25 years is a long investment.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My parents had solar panels installed about 15 years ago (I think). Back then it was a big outlay but the prices you got for selling your unused electricity were high. Just last month, Dad had to send his utility company a screenshot of his solar panel usage (I guess from the battery/interface module) because the utility company didn't believe he had used so little mains electric. At the rate we are going, I'd gladly have them fitted but we can't afford it. Our utility bills are around £400/month in the winter.

It seems silly not to pack every new rooftop with panels, but I guess there has been a lot of public and covert resistance from energy suppliers who don't want to lose the chance to fleece us every month in bills

Alex321

Veteran
For many people I doubt it's a principal thing, more getting by each month / enjoying a holiday or two is higher on thier priorities?

Not everyone has £25k spare and to see it repay for itself over 25 years is a long investment.

It should be closer to 10 years - and ours, which is a very big system for a domestic one at 10.1kW only cost about 20K.

But I agree, that is still a very big investment for a young couple with a mortgage and a family. They will very rarely be able to pay up front, and the cost of a loan will extend the payback period.

CXRAndy

Guru
I think one of the biggest issues are parts availability, especially from Chinese EV's, which in turn pushes up insurance as a damaged car may be sat for some time awaiting something simple like a bumper and a wing.

Thats the same with many makes now. They don't keep large inventories anymore of spares. I watch a fair few mechanics YT channels and they are always saying parts are on backorder for a variety of common home manufactured brands.

My Nissan needed to wait two weeks for drive shaft.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thats the same with many makes now. They don't keep large inventories anymore of spares. I watch a fair few mechanics YT channels and they are always saying parts are on backorder for a variety of common home manufactured brands.

My Nissan needed to wait two weeks for drive shaft.

If you need any door fixing bolts Boing has a few left over from the last maintenance job.

Top Bottom