Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
I thought there was a rule about new builds ? I've seen a lot built but with just the two panels on the roof and in place of tiles rather than over the top making it trickier to add extra panels. Two panels isn't going to do much really - is it worth the effort?
If it gave you hot water all summer it could put years on your boiler and save you fuel.

Alex321

Veteran
For a couple of hundred quid you could cover the roof and have a decent supply of power though.

Even at wholesale prices, it is going to be few thousand, nota couple of hundred.

Even at wholesale prices, it is going to be few thousand, nota couple of hundred.

Ok I might have exaggerated but two panels just seems to be a box ticking exercise. Especially when you've now made it more expensive to add any more.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Ok I might have exaggerated but two panels just seems to be a box ticking exercise. Especially when you've now made it more expensive to add any more.

Every bit helps though and if people get used to it and se the advantages they will move on to other things.

I was surprised the other day that one of my chums who does get annoyed about electric cars has hardly any insulation in his loft and when asked why said about the cost. He is not a poor man.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the subject of solar panels, it always occurred to me...
I nearly had mine done maybe 15 years ago and got cold feet. Iirc after 20 or 25 years, they become your responsibility and that bugged me, what are you going to do then, have to pay to get them repaired, replaced, removed ? A bit short sighted I admit but it is a relevent point.
And then I look across the road to people that had theirs done maybe 5 to 10 years ago...covered in mildew or lichen. Their efficiency must be down 30%
It's not all black and white, it's not all win win.

albion

Guru
I nearly had mine done maybe 15 years ago and got cold feet. Iirc after 20 or 25 years, they become your responsibility and that bugged me, what are you going to do then, have to pay to get them repaired, replaced, removed ? A bit short sighted I admit but it is a relevent point.
And then I look across the road to people that had theirs done maybe 5 to 10 years ago...covered in mildew or lichen. Their efficiency must be down 30%

There's cleaning companies about. So clean once every 5 or 10 years. Efficiency falls too, but not by that much.

Alex321

Veteran
What else do you ever buy that is guaranteed for that long?

Even the standard NBC guarantee on a new house is only 10 years.

I don't think it affects the efficiency that much - and they can be cleaned.

These seem more like reasonas to justify the decision you already made to not buy than actual arguments against buying.

After 25 years they'll have paid you back what you paid for them at least twice. So use some of the profits to see if you need to replace them. You probably don't - you don't guarantee something for 25 years if they can only last 25. They use solar panels on the space station so they're pretty hardy and long lasting.

I don't think I've seen any panels with lichen on them and I'm a keen panel spotter. I'd not worry about that.

You missed out.

Top Bottom