Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biketrailerguy

The head of National Grid says the system is up to it, and it's already nudging 40% from renewable on days when conditions are favourable.

I do wonder though if we'll still need gas fired capacity to bring online on thkse winter days when the wind doesn't blow and there is little sunshine.

Yep.
Also, what's rarely mentioned re % supplied by renewables - even if they supplied 100% of a day's total energy requirements - is - at what point during the day are they supplying that energy?
Without backup of some sort it's an 'interesting' situation.

Gridwatch (templar) and Iamkate (grid) are worth a shufties imo for anyone not aware of them.

Yep.
Also, what's rarely mentioned re % supplied by renewables - even if they supplied 100% of a day's total energy requirements - is - at what point during the day are they supplying that energy?
Without backup of some sort it's an 'interesting' situation.

Gridwatch (templar) and Iamkate (grid) are worth a shufties imo for anyone not aware of them.

I use this periodically. It gives you the last half hour but don’t seem to be able to scroll back
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/dashboard?_k=dl6qkq

albion

Guru
'Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc'

A few of us have said solar on new house builds should be mandatory. It should be the same for cars, lightweight solar technology now being there. I would also mandate with houses that all roofs are single pitch, southward facing.
And the roof itself could be a one piece factory made large solar panel, thus likely reducing costs and fire dangers.

And semi transparent roofs would possibly and brilliantly become the norm.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
'Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc'

A few of us have said sold on new house builds should be mandatory. It should be the same for cars, lightweight solar technology now being there. I would also mandate with houses that all roofs are single pitch, southward facing.
And the roof itself could be a one piece factory made large solar panel, thus likely reducing costs and fire dangers.

Also the massive distribution sheds ought to be forced to fit panels rather than on acres of farm land???

Milzy

Guru
I have friends who get very angry about electric cars not being any good, and solar power not being the way forward.

They sneer at the eco tyres on my car, but are quiet amazed when they are not more expensive than normal tyres.

Some don't even tolerate electric bikes.

Yet they have electric coffee grinders rather than manual, wrist watches and chainsaws, hedgecutters, an drills, an washing machines...... with no problem.

What do we think is going on ?

I have a £1000 coffee grinder maker but aero press and French press taste better sometimes. I also like to chop trees with a hand bow saw. I like manual tools, they give you a great primal feeling. I think EV’s are great for company cars but poor for private buyers. Some of the trade ins are ridiculous and some dealers refuse to trade them.

To be fair, solar on farm land has actually been shown to be a clever way to improve yield *and* generate extra cash for the farmers. You can combine the two.

There's a farm near here (just to the south of Ely) that has solar panels on some of the land, but the farmer uses the space between the panels to graze sheep. So not only does he have dual purpose use on the land, it saves him having to do much maintenance in terms of grass cutting.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
I think EV’s are great for company cars but poor for private buyers. Some of the trade ins are ridiculous and some dealers refuse to trade them.

Yes I think a lot of that is not being able to get a good judgement of what they are buying. So understandable resistance.

my chum has just bought a Leaf as a second car and its working out very well. They worked out exactly what they needed and no more.
So one car to tow and one as a second car which is the electric one. Very cheap to run so far.

Sallar55

Veteran
There's a farm near here (just to the south of Ely) that has solar panels on some of the land, but the farmer uses the space between the panels to graze sheep. So not only does he have dual purpose use on the land, it saves him having to do much maintenance in terms of grass cutting.
Well the grass needs the sun to grow ,a lot of shade under the panels. Or are the panels tracking the sun for max efficiency

icowden

Veteran
Well the grass needs the sun to grow ,a lot of shade under the panels. Or are the panels tracking the sun for max efficiency
The shade can be a benefit.
https://www.wired.com/story/growing-crops-under-solar-panels-now-theres-a-bright-idea/

The crops get some sun but lose less water to the sun, and water that does evaporate cools the panels which makes them more efficient in turn. In very hot summers they keep the crops a bit cooler, and they shield the plants from heavy rain.

A few of us have said solar on new house builds should be mandatory. It should be the same for cars, lightweight solar technology now being there. I would also mandate with houses that all roofs are single pitch, southward facing.

I thought there was a rule about new builds ? I've seen a lot built but with just the two panels on the roof and in place of tiles rather than over the top making it trickier to add extra panels. Two panels isn't going to do much really - is it worth the effort?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I thought there was a rule about new builds ? I've seen a lot built but with just the two panels on the roof and in place of tiles rather than over the top making it trickier to add extra panels. Two panels isn't going to do much really - is it worth the effort?

I took it to be a box ticking exercise by the builers without any consideration of the practicalities.

Top Bottom