Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
You mean correct. It’s an important distinction.

No, I don't mean correct.

Those steam cars are external combustion engines.

For some reason, you have decided they aren't, even though you agreed with me that all steam engines are.

I am sure that you are pointlessly using "external" to mean something else here, and therefore in your pedantic mind are "correct".

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@Alex321Purleeeeease 😂

44d34c584db0c0fcbce457b45e4f4d55c76ac10f6a6290c8c6.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Getting back on track, my Solar panels almost reached their theoretical peak last week ( 5.25 kW ). I always fully charge my battery overnight on the Octopus Agile tariff so a great deal of the solar is exported resulting in what will be a negative electricity bill this month.
We have a conventional gas CH / HW system and contrary to my expectations, after initially using battery and solar to power the immersion heater and an electric stove have gone back to gas as it's more lucrative to export electricity at 15p per kWh and use gas at about 4p per kWh equivalent.
Looking forward to the longer hours of daylight, and hopefully lots of sunny days☀️☀️

Nothing against e-bikes except when people cheat on strava
Got a guy in my area who is in the same age bracket(old!) as me who got an e-bike last summer and went around taking all the koms on the hills.
When i called him out on it saying you should have changed the strava setting to e-bike he said i forgot.:whistle:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I once had a tour round a private collection and I'm sure there was a steam car there as well as an electric vehicle, both dating to pre 1925. The electric one had been previously owned by someone bizarre like the King of Venezuela (or another South American country).

tyred

Legendary Member
I once had a tour round a private collection and I'm sure there was a steam car there as well as an electric vehicle, both dating to pre 1925. The electric one had been previously owned by someone bizarre like the King of Venezuela (or another South American country).

Steam cars were common in the early days. Some, like Stanley, produced ones with good performance for their era.

I guess the big drawback was taking about hours to get it "started."

classic33

Leg End Member
Steam cars were common in the early days. Some, like Stanley, produced ones with good performance for their era.

The coal fired boilers have been replaced by gas fired boilers in some cases.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

It was bad enough when I had a Citroen BX diesel, which is not a car if you're always rushing. After turning the ignition on, you had to wait about ten seconds for the glow plug light to go out, then after starting another ten seconds for the air suspension to rise. Always seemed like hours. Great car though, ultra reliable and comfortable.

tyred

Legendary Member
It was bad enough when I had a Citroen BX diesel, which is not a car if you're always rushing. After turning the ignition on, you had to wait about ten seconds for the glow plug light to go out, then after starting another ten seconds for the air suspension to rise. Always seemed like hours. Great car though, ultra reliable and comfortable.

I never found waiting forthe glow plugs to do there thing too much of an issue when I had old diesel cars. VW even gave you manual cold start control to play with on the MK I and MKII Golf.

But I suppose I grew up surrounded by ancient tractors and lorries that usually needed a helper, and a rolled up newspaper dipped in diesel, set alight and held into the air intake to coax them into life on a frosty morning. Childhood memories of getting up at 5am before school to help my Dad start the Leyland Buffalo.

I loved the simplicity of old diesel engines, despite their eccentricities.

Top Bottom