Why do people put plastic bags on their seats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radchenister

Veteran
This hiding it to fool thieves thing, are they the type of thieves who wear stripey tops, eye masks and carry sacks with swag written on it?

If so, then shoddy work, they need to go the whole hog and lay some traps ... you know, marbles, banana skins etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Leather saddles, which get wet will stretch fast like a pair of new walking boots. No bad thing in itself because they will mould themselves to the bottom of the user who will declare: "Lo - my saddle, made from the finest ox hide, hath shaped itself to my posterior and thus justified its extreme weight, ugly appearance, crude manufacturing and high pecuniary cost! This proves that it is superior to any modern plarstic saddle. Praise the Lord!"

But a wet leather saddle is not pleasant and is likely to sag much futher than intended, ending up looking like the steel bucket seat on one of those early tractors.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But a wet leather saddle is not pleasant and is likely to sag much futher than intended, ending up looking like the steel bucket seat on one of those early tractors.
Which is why they have a tension bolt underneath.

In years of riding on leather saddles I've only once had to touch the tensioner on any of them. All are extremely comfortable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Whilst I have a beautiful saddle cover for my bike, I have to admit that son uses one of those shoe covers you get for walking into swimming pools on his saddle.
Me too for coffee stops. Also use one to protect saddle pack in wet weather.

Chris S

Legendary Member

In case an HGV comes too close.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
It's an effective deterrent against pervy saddle sniffers-well,it always deters me anyway.

gbb

Legendary Member
Because,,, wait for it.... 'They want to.'

Not far from the truth. My sons does it. Why ?, because a bike means nothing too him. We're all overanalysing it, we covet our bikes, can't understand why someone would be so do something so...naff. They do, my son does, because a bike means nothing to him. His seats had it, the bag keeps his ass dry, nothing more, nothing less.

markharry66

Über Member
I have seen someone put plastic bags over the back light. I put sandwich bags on my feet when its cold or wet. At the end of the day who cares its their bike, their life. Let them live it

Plastic bag? Scrubbers!:laugh:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0029LD9...nd=1351403688358100826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I've got one. True you can wipe most saddles down, but unless you have something absorbant with you you can't get it quite dry, which leads to a damp bottie.

As with most things saddle related - go Brooks!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIlDjBjAmE3_WBnGcH8PmCtomhUTx29rKb7eatfyDMVkmRPOcaKQ.jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have a brooks cover which goes in my frame bag. I've never once remembered to use it on my brooks saddles, I always try to find some cover when I park up tho. Never given plastic bags on seats a second thought TBH & I've got minor damage to a foam saddle that I weather proofed with Bostik. Flexes & keeps the wet out of the foam quite happily.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I have a brooks cover which goes in my frame bag. I've never once remembered to use it on my brooks saddles, I always try to find some cover when I park up tho. Never given plastic bags on seats a second thought TBH & I've got minor damage to a foam saddle that I weather proofed with Bostik. Flexes & keeps the wet out of the foam quite happily.

I only ever use mine if the bikes outside the tent.

Top Bottom