Why do people ride in (sometimes) large groups/clubs ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This is a serious question and definitely not meant to be "having a go" at those who do.
I ride either on my own or with a friend. When with a friend we ride single file unless the road is quiet and we are not holding vehicles up.
We can ride at our own pace, have a chat if we want and take in the scenery or (if we want) put our "foot down".
So....................
what are the benefits of group/club cycling over going out with a mate ?

Citius

Some people have more than one mate...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you're mate is on holiday or doing something else that day it leaves you doing a solo. If a few people from the club are away it still means a group ride.

Riding with the same 1 person may get boring? More people and different characters, with different riding styles and strengths makes it more interesting.

The bigger the group the easier it is (physically, if not always mentally).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I don't regularly cycle in a group but I have had the experience of being part of a pack of 8-9 roadies all belting along in a pack. It took up one lane of a dual carriageway and the drafting effect was amazing. The speeds the pack achieved were surprising.

When in a larger group, bunching up also makes it far easier & safer for a car to overtake. It'd be like trying to overtake a much longer vehicle, and need a bigger gap in oncoming traffic, were everyone to get into single file.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Looking at you angle of riding single file and not holding vehicles up, one single overtake of a group of 15 cyclists should hold up drivers less than 15 individual overtakes.

My reasons for group riding: camaraderie, chats with lots of people, I push myself more, backup in case of problems and I get to learn a different skill. However, saying that I am more often ride solo or with one or two mates than in a big group.

To ride with a larger group of friends, it is also somewhat easier when you are drafting a number of cyclists. Cafe stops are more interesting. As a side note, many club rides are being disrupted by Strava segment chasers and are currently evolving ways to deal with this.

zizou

Veteran
Its fun, good banter with different people and helps you cover more distance easier and faster.

The majority of people who ride in groups will also do a lot of rides on their own (or with a mate) as well so its not a choice of sticking to one type of riding or the other, most do both.

vickster

Legendary Member
It holds no appeal for me, I like to be able to go at the speed I want, where I want and to stop when I want and I generally despise exercising in a group! I have done sky rides in the past but they are a little tedious. Sportives on open roads hold no interest for me either

But each to their own and all that :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I started riding in a group so that I learn better routes, see interesting stuff (including some great cakes and beers) and know that I won't be abandoned on the roadside a long way from home with no-one knowing where I am - not all of Norfolk has mobile signal... and there's always a small chance I might not be in a fit state to call anyone, although family have my "Find My Phone" code so I guess they could find me eventually as long as the phone wasn't destroyed. Anyway, riding in this group is a bit more reassuring and in three years or so, I don't think we've left anyone yet who didn't want to be left, including fixing various mechanicals on the road.

I ride in a freewheeling group (loose pootleton, relaxed speed, as many stops/diversions as wanted, just turn up with a working cycle sort of thing) so it's definitely not for the extreme exercise, pacelining like a bunch of pros or setting speed records. :laugh: I've tried other groups but they're not for me and I also don't "get" sportives. I find the good fun charity rides we do a few times a year (fancy dress or not) much more enjoyable.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I spent yesterday on a club ride - we had around 100 riders on the annual 120-mile ride.

It's usually a good experience for all and many had never ridden anywhere near that distance or speed before; we've had a lot of new club members this year.

I'll also ride solo if I prefer. Or in different groups on audaxes like @jefmcg .

Group rides work in terms of support, learning new routes and generally better riding skills. My youngest, who is now 11, will benefit this winter from riding with the club on their shorter Saturday ride.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride by myself or with Jannie. Neither of have either ridden in a peleton. As recently proved, I can fall off by myself on an empty road, I dont need assistance. Apart from that we like battling head winds, it makes you tougher. Having your mates make a wind break in front of you is a bit girlish ;0)

Learning to ride in a peloton is an essential skill for road racing. Only by riding in a peloton can you learn about pacelines, echelons, rotating pacelines, load sharing, relaxed concentration, strategy and tactics. Obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think there is nothing more exciting than a fast-moving, silent peloton with riders doing 40 or 50kph on each side of you. It is a dynamic animal that forces you to constantly move position within it. It is a thrill, especially when learning about bunch crashing. You haven't lived until you've bunch-crashed.

Top Bottom