Why do people use turbos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

maybe ask in "health and fitness"..;)

longers

Legendary Member
I have a friend who used to prefer an exercise bike with the curtains drawn on a sunny day than go outside on a real bike.

Noodley

I have not used my turbo this year, but I did use it a few years ago when I was very fit...it helped get me very fit.

I would not use it now to "get me fit" but it can...

longers

Legendary Member
I see what happened but this were in Cafe when I started typing ;)

Ignore my reply please as it's not relevant to here.

Odyssey

It must be nice being able to step off when you feel like it and be back home...

I think that's a great motivator in getting on it in the first place.

longers

Legendary Member
As an example, if someone were to have broken their leg while skiing then a turbo would be an excellent way to being bike fit again.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Is this a serious question?

Serious answer:
Its easier to plan regulated routines for training.
Its a lot less hassle than riding outside.
Can train all weathers.
No restrictions on times of day ie i used to do an hour before work, a roadride at 5/6 o'clock in the dark with sleepy drivers isn't my idea of fun.
Can listen to music/watch films whilst training.

Lots of good reasons for Turbo training ;)

yogi

Here's another good reason to use a turbo-trainer - when my wife's working I can still train and look after our child. Can't go and do intervals with my daughter just yet.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I must be a bit weird in that I actually quite like my turbo trainer ;)

Mainly for all the reasons Steve Austin gives above. At the moment I'm doing 4 weeks base training so I can't let my HR go above 126 which is impossible to achieve on the road for me, especially if I spot a distant challenger :biggrin:

When thats up I'll be back to interval training which is so much easier to control on the turbo. When the evenings are finally lighter I will use it less but it won't be put away for the summer by any means.

The main thing is time though, with having a demanding job and young family I just can't get enough road miles in.

Top Bottom