Why do people use turbos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I used mine only when the weather was crap (wind and/or rain, I can dress against cold), I would have preferred to be out on the roads tbh. I'm not really into cycling for fitness per se (it's an added benefit!) so the turbo was only really for keeping my legs used to turning the pedals and having a sense of being on the bike. Incidentally, the turbo was also the only time I'd ride listening to music - trad jazz worked for me!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It means I can keep fit during the dark evenings otherwise I'd only ride on Saturdays. I'm planning on getting a new rowing machine soon (my old one broke) which I can alternate the trainig with.

Frazer

I find working hard on the turbo for 45 minutes or so is more than enough to get a really good workout, with some intervals. But I only use it when its wet or dark outside and riding wouldnt be much fun.

I set it up last night in front of the TV whilst the world track cyling was on and every time a race begun i would up the pace accordingly...knackering!

Also, at the end the rear wheel must have slipped a bit somehow and was rubbing against the frame. I didnt realise and just thought it had got harder because I was so tired, and kept going...until i smelt burning rubber....:wacko:

walker

as some have said a Turbo is good for interval training, as doing it outside can be a little harder than it appears. for instance if you are doing a 10x15sec intervals and you hit a hill just before you are about to restart it can be that little bit harder to hold the speed. Doing on a turbo is easier, I find rollers easier than turbo's though

Wot Steve said, plus illness. Mine's kept me going through the dark months, though it's not as good on the CV side as road riding but is good for keeping leg strength, though the hill climbing muscles still need some real life work.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
While I'm quite happy commuting in wet weather and in the dark I don't like to go out training in the same conditions (I can treat a commute in truly awful weather as a challenge, but I can't convince myself of the same for training).

Where I am it's a fair ride out to suitable stretches of road with enough gaps between junctions for intervals etc, ok if part of a longer ride, but inconvenient if I want to fit it into an hour or so.

walker

palinurus said:
While I'm quite happy commuting in wet weather and in the dark I don't like to go out training in the same conditions (I can treat a commute in truly awful weather as a challenge, but I can't convince myself of the same for training).

Where I am it's a fair ride out to suitable stretches of road with enough gaps between junctions for intervals etc, ok if part of a longer ride, but inconvenient if I want to fit it into an hour or so.

Liar:biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
walker said:
I find rollers easier than turbo's though

Rollers are shoot for intervals: you can't put the power through unless you're very good.

stevenb

The turbo trainers wont damage your bike...unless you have it set up wrong...
They will help you get very fit....infact....I feel fitter than I have ever done in my life......
The turbo has improved my leg power, my climbing, my stamina my cadence efficiency....everything.
I go out now and 50+ miles which I could previously do about 2 months back but feeling knackered after are now a stroll in the park.
Of course I train even harder now so when I go out I go as fast as I can.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
longers said:
As an example, if someone were to have broken their leg while skiing then a turbo would be an excellent way to being bike fit again.

Very belatedly....you called???

I LOVE my turbo. Yep, it's dull as hell but I've worked my way through series one, two and three of Sex and the City and kept my fitness up during cripplehood. However I love it most today because this morning I got back on my bike and hit the canal towpath for the first time and felt better than I had before I broke the old leg. Had the biggest smile on my face the entire trip and greeted random joggers at the top of my voice.

So turbos...not ideal, but brilliant all the same!

When this week is over, I will be getting back to full fitness - which is very dull, but a turbo makes it happen so fast.

Mon-Fri are done on a 10min warm-up @ 50%max followed by 45mins at 75%max ending with one interval of max power until I run out of juice, followed by slowly spinning down until my HR gets back to 50%

Usually takes 2 weeks to kick in, and when it does, I back it down to 2 or 3 sessions a week.

Blue

Legendary Member
I only cycle for fitness and pleasure. I have never raced and don't commute(retired).

When the weather is foul I keep the fitness regimen going by using my turbo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Haven't touched my turbo since returning to commuting 100% of the time. It's useful for injuries and winter speed work, or just maintaining fitness wen the weather is bad.

I find them terribly boring, and usually do 30 mins of intervals if I do use it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I haven't used mine for a while, not a lot of space for it at the moment. I did find that it didn't have much resistance and I was working out in top gear and it was still easier then real cycling. It was also noisy even after I changed from knobbly tyres to slick road tyres. The droning reverberated through the house.

Top Bottom