Why do people use turbos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
From my perspective RT, the turbo is very reluctantly used when the weathers just too cold for me....usually only in the coldest depths of winter if i've been off the bike for a couple of weeks. I start to feel guilty, but cant drive myself to go out in the very cold.
The irony is, used once in a while, i dont mind. Set it up in front of the telly and spin for maybe an hour. But i couldnt do it regular.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm currently using my trainer again to develop myself and collect some personal experience as part of my thesis research.

I am currently building up my strength and stamina under full load. I have the bike on the highest gear giving the maximum resistance. I am doing sprints at the moment 8 mins at 16mph followed by 2mins at 19mph It's not much but I have the aim of eventually maintaining a continuous steady 20mph at maximum load for around 30mins. I don't know if I can do it but I will get fitter trying.

Night Train said:
I am currently building up my strength and stamina under full load. I have the bike on the highest gear giving the maximum resistance. I am doing sprints at the moment 8 mins at 16mph followed by 2mins at 19mph It's not much but I have the aim of eventually maintaining a continuous steady 20mph at maximum load for around 30mins. I don't know if I can do it but I will get fitter trying.

So what's your highest gear, around 90inches. Which means you have an rpm of 50-55. Are you not just going to knacker your knees. :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I haven't worked out how many inches it is, its a MTB so it isn't really high but the loading isn't as much as I get on weights and around the same as I get on the aerobic worker. I'm probably running around 70-80rpm.

I'll go and count teeth and work out what the gear ratio is.

Night Train said:
OK I have 41 teeth on the chain ring and 11 on the wheel and I have 26x1.9 tyres on.

So is that bad?
Is my bike computer reading wrong?

Aaarrrgggh! I just typed a long answer and lost it :biggrin: Try again.

A 41x11 is 92 inches. Which equals 58rpm. Are you sure it's 41, that's unusual, not 42 which would mean 55rpm. What's your computer saying?

Anyway, I would say that's too low to train with. Most do intervals on a turbo using a higher cadence and a big effort, say 10 minute warm up, 5 steady, 5 fast, 5 steady, 5 all out etc... Try it, it'll tire you faster than using a big gear continuously

Cadence is oft debated as to what is ideal but 70-90 is the average consensus. As an example, I would do 55rpm up a 1 in 10 hill and 80/90 along the flat. I use the gears to maintain my cadence rather than my speed as it's making more efficient use of my power. As you become fitter you get the strength to maintain the cadence as the road/wind rises so you don't change gear as much.

In the last year I have upped my cadence with the result my knees ache less, I am a better climber (still crap though) and I have more stamina because I am being more efficient.

Night Train said:
I haven't worked out how many inches it is, its a MTB so it isn't really high but the loading isn't as much as I get on weights and around the same as I get on the aerobic worker. I'm probably running around 70-80rpm.

Didn't see this before. Probably? If your computer doesn't have cadence, then count how many times one knee comes up in 15 sec and multiply by 4. For a 41x11 at 16mph you won't be doing 70 or 80 but 58 and at 19mph 69rpm, give or take a few revs as I only 1.5" tyres in my spreadsheet.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks Crackle, I will have another count of teeth and then do a knee count if I can.
I am also going to try and rig up something to calculate power output at the wheel in Watts, probably rebuilding the trainer with an alternator and a load, as that is what I really want to measure against.

Plax

Guru
I've never actually considered a turbo. Are they similar to exercise bikes? I can't stand exercise bikes, hate them. One of the things I avoided at the gym, along with the stepper. Was surprised that I took to "proper" cycling so much given my dislike for them.

trio25

Über Member
I tried a turbo trainer but just wanted to freewheel all the time, I'd rather go out in the rain.

Top Bottom