"Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
He was asked to fill in for a regular columnist at short notice, so perhaps not so considered. Anyway, just had an email from him, so let's see what unfolds.

dawesome

My test of whether a diatribe against cyclists is fair or equitable is to replace the word cyclists with another minority:

SO I'm driving through the ridiculous 20 mile-an-hour system that's been designed to stop people going to Topsham when there's a decision to make. Should I knock this ignorant black person over, blast my horn so that he is in no doubt about my displeasure, or slow down further so that the tailback that's built up between the rugby ground and the roundabout becomes longer still?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
My test of whether a diatribe against cyclists is fair or equitable is to replace the word cyclists with another minority:

SO I'm driving through the ridiculous 20 mile-an-hour system that's been designed to stop people going to Topsham when there's a decision to make. Should I knock this ignorant black person over, blast my horn so that he is in no doubt about my displeasure, or slow down further so that the tailback that's built up between the rugby ground and the roundabout becomes longer still?
Ahhh ! The "Jew" test!

Wafu

Just heard word that Radio Exe (Formerly Exeter FM) are planning an open day at their Exeter offices (no date yet announced), so it may be worth a delegation of cyclists turning up on the day :smile:

Sustrans and Stuart Hughes are positive moves in a way, but I get the feeling those are again about publicity for himself, so perhaps if he sees just some of the number of cyclists in the city turn up on his door step he might just realise that we aren't as much of a minority as he thinks and us cyclists are fed up of being bearing the brunt of idiot drivers.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Just heard word that Radio Exe (Formerly Exeter FM) are planning an open day at their Exeter offices (no date yet announced), so it may be worth a delegation of cyclists turning up on the day :smile:

Sustrans and Stuart Hughes are positive moves in a way, but I get the feeling those are again about publicity for himself, so perhaps if he sees just some of the number of cyclists in the city turn up on his door step he might just realise that we aren't as much of a minority as he thinks and us cyclists are fed up of being bearing the brunt of idiot drivers.
Why not make a bit of a day of it and have a cyclists' picnic somewhere ... maybe in Topsham? Now, how could we get there from Exeter? Meet in the centre of Exeter, cycle out to Marsh Barton, and then down for a pint at The Bridge, maybe.

Wafu

Why not make a bit of a day of it and have a cyclists' picnic somewhere ... maybe in Topsham? Now, how could we get there from Exeter? Meet in the centre of Exeter, cycle out to Marsh Barton, and then down for a pint at The Bridge, maybe.

Sounds like a plan...especially the pub bit :laugh:

A central Exeter meet sounds like the best plan, Cathedral Green area perhaps or even down at the Quayside

Top Bottom