"Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wafu

briantrumpet: You'll find Stuart Hughes to be a decent bloke and passionate about Devon being a cycle friendly county. I have had may dealings with him over the years from my time as a journalist right through to know through my cycling endeavours. He was posection of (not particularly narrow) road as opposed to using the path (which has about 15 conflict points along it). possibly the most instrumental person (along with the cycling officers at DCC) in bringing the Tour of Britain and the Tour Series to Devon and bringing it back every time.
He may be elected under a tory banner these days (I remember a time when he was the representative for the Monster Raving Loony Party!) but he is a true independent and really cares about the people of this county.

As for Mr Nero stating there will be an 'article to bring balance' to the piece. There should have never been a need to bring balance in the first place because the Express and Echo should not have printed it (Mark Astley's last huzzah before leaving perhaps?). The Echo know this is a contentious issue, they only need look at the James Martin fiasco to know that. But then perhaps that was their intention seeing as the paper is struggling to survive!

It's laughable for him to say that he never intended to encourage people to go out there and injure cyclists. Perhaps he should think before he writes, it's commonly accepted in criminal science circles that known figures in the media can say or do something that validates a psychopaths actions, they see or read something and think that validates their actions. Ok I'm not saying all motorists are psychopaths, far from it, the majority are decent people just getting through life like any cyclist. But there are motorists out there who will take his words as some kind of validation of their actions behind the wheel!

Perhaps he should take his bike to the playground and practice a bit more without stabilisers before he ventures out onto the road.

'I'm a cyclist as well as a motorist and a pedestrian blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah. Where I'm wobbly is cycling on the road.'

Sounds more like a chav on a bike. :hello:

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
briantrumpet: You'll find Stuart Hughes to be a decent bloke and passionate about Devon being a cycle friendly county.
Indeed - his responses have been quick and somewhat less tempered than mine, and though I haven't met him, I can tell that he really does care about cycling in Devon. Not everything that gets done is perfect, but I'm sure that Stuart Hughes can take considerable credit for getting positive things done in a climate that is not necessarily the best for spending money on 'non-essential' projects. This is at a time when even libraries and some children's services have faced savage cuts.

I am sure what Stuart Hughes will be wanting to reinforce is that Devon is truly one of the great places in the England to cycle, and that car and cycle can share our roads safely and happily (and do, most of the time.) Paul Nero's piece was a silly, irresponsible piece of tosh, which the Express and Echo should have returned to him and asked him "are you sure you want to say this??"

Wafu

Indeed - his responses have been quick and somewhat less tempered than mine, and though I haven't met him, I can tell that he really does care about cycling in Devon. Not everything that gets done is perfect, but I'm sure that Stuart Hughes can take considerable credit for getting positive things done in a climate that is not necessarily the best for spending money on 'non-essential' projects. This is at a time when even libraries and some children's services have faced savage cuts.

I am sure what Stuart Hughes will be wanting to reinforce is that Devon is truly one of the great places in the England to cycle, and that car and cycle can share our roads safely and happily (and do, most of the time.) Paul Nero's piece was a silly, irresponsible piece of tosh, which the Express and Echo should have returned to him and asked him "are you sure you want to say this??"

We all know that it can never be perfect, but Stuart has over the years done his best to get it as near as dammit and has pushed the environment department at DCC to do the best job possible and put Devon on the map. He may not be a hardened cyclist himself, but he's certainly a hardened cyclist supporter.

stowie

Legendary Member
Perhaps he should take his bike to the playground and practice a bit more without stabilisers before he ventures out onto the road.

'I'm a cyclist as well as a motorist and a pedestrian blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah. Where I'm wobbly is cycling on the road.'

Sounds more like a chav on a bike. :hello:

With the amount of back-pedalling he appears to be doing, I assumed he rode a fixie...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Looking good. Thanks, Brian, for all the behind-the-scenes work. I shall merely introduce myself on Wednesday.
From comments above it strikes me that an effective response to the EE&E might be to threaten not to buy their rag if such irresponsible opinion pieces are published.

welshwheels

To answer the question they do not go where i want to go !!!!and a lot of the cycle paths in this area go through/alongside some terrible council estates and are covered in glass and dog sh*t

Wafu

Evil place!

There have been few times when I have walked out of the mess...especially with their bar prices :hyper:

Wafu

On a serious note, I have also been in contact with Cllr Hughes who has been swift in his response to me. He is looking into the issue as already mentioned.

I have also conacted one of the Exeter City Councillors who is a member of Sustrans (as well as volunteer) to make her aware of it if she wasn't already, awaiting a response at the moment.

There have been few times when I have walked out of the mess...especially with their bar prices :hyper:

If you walked out then things have changed.

We used to x-ray all the new entries and then spend the night before proceeding up to Portland to do the operational ships.

Wafu

If you walked out then things have changed.

We used to x-ray all the new entries and then spend the night before proceeding up to Portland to do the operational ships.

ahhhh now I said there are only a few times I have walked out....I have however been in the mess bar many times :biggrin:

Been in the officers mess a fair few times (along with the wardroom at BRNC)....never walked out of that place :whistle:

lukesdad

To answer the question they do not go where i want to go !!!!and a lot of the cycle paths in this area go through/alongside some terrible council estates and are covered in glass and dog sh*t
I often use the path down from Tumble and find it fine. Also the coast and Blackpill path and don t find it to problematic.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Email no.1

Email no.2

Seems he had been caught out and is trying to cover his arse without actually apologizing or retracting his original piece , untill he does that no amount of red tape will hide the fact that his condoned irresponsible ,dangerous and illegal driving and that should be in my opinion the only way for this shock jock to make amends.

RhythMick

Über Member
On a serious note, I have also been in contact with Cllr Hughes who has been swift in his response to me. He is looking into the issue as already mentioned.

I have also conacted one of the Exeter City Councillors who is a member of Sustrans (as well as volunteer) to make her aware of it if she wasn't already, awaiting a response at the moment.

@ Brian and Wafu : well done for finding a civilized and productive way to react to this idiocy

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom