"Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

Wouldn't an equivalent diatribe from a militant cyclist be along the lines of:

"Drivers. If you overtake me at more than the speed limit I will hunt you down and shoot you in the face"?

I can't see that kind of sentiment getting much support here.

paddy01

Are you suggesting we set Exeter on fire?
That might look like over-reacting.

Well, being in Devon it's probably too soggy to burn anyway, and fire lighters are hard to find in the shops at this time of year...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't know the road in question, so take back this point if the entire stretch is an uphill...

...but is anyone wondering who the cyclist clad in lycra are that are 'holding him up' on a 20mph limit road? I don't have the balls to wear lycra yet, but he'd actually be more likely to be holding ME up slightly if he kept to the speed limit!

+1
on a rare moment of pure physical power i was in the draft zone of a car actually doing 30 in a 30 zone so i got a tow for a good 2-3 miles untill we hit a mountain slight hill :smile: The look on the drivers face in the mirror was priceless as they kept looking behind and thinking WTF !

What can you say about the article in the OP `s post?Sensationalist journalism on a slow news night by a reporter who did not bother the actually check the facts .....nothing new then .

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Tonight's development - a personal email from Paul Nero - not an apology as such, but saying that the E&E are going to do a balancing piece featuring a cycling charity, the suggestion of a piece on Radio Exe featuring the DCC councillor and the cycling charity, recognition of some of the problems with cycle paths, the possibility of his going on a course (Sustrans?) about how drivers and cyclists can safely share road space ....

Anyway, I have just asked him if I can quote his email in full. Watch this space.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Tonight's development - a personal email from Paul Nero - not an apology as such, but saying that the E&E are going to do a balancing piece featuring a cycling charity, the suggestion of a piece on Radio Exe featuring the DCC councillor and the cycling charity, recognition of some of the problems with cycle paths, the possibility of his going on a course (Sustrans?) about how drivers and cyclists can safely share road space ....

Anyway, I have just asked him if I can quote his email in full. Watch this space.

His piece worked then, he got publicity then and he gets more later... :-(

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
His piece worked then, he got publicity then and he gets more later... :-(
Maybe, but it's not going to make him look big and important like the image his original piece tried to convey. He's done himself no favours. And all self-inflicted. I'm sure his publicity calculation didn't include the near universal criticism he's rightly got.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Maybe, but it's not going to make him look big and important like the image his original piece tried to convey. He's done himself no favours. And all self-inflicted. I'm sure his publicity calculation didn't include the near universal criticism he's rightly got.
Do you work in the media business? If not, I suggest that you are about to get blindsided , by professionals, and simply used to get him/his concern more publicity. He will be controlling what is heard/seen not you,and he gets to decide how his employees refer to the balance peice once it has been used. His business is selling adverts by giving away "news" .News is news. if it's good or bad makes no difference to him as long as people read/liste.nWhat the "balance piece " gives him is free copy/progamming, you can't fight him on his own battleground, your only real method is asymetrical warfare. , if you want to hurt him you want to try levering from directions that cost him money, his sponsors/advertisers/shareholders see if they like being associated with him if it's costing them bad publicity or money.What car does he drive, do the local dealers of that car want his driving style associated with their product, what advertisers surrounded his piece , do they want their name scaring off cyclsits....?

The media is not a two edged sword, it's a sword shaped like a serpent and will turn and bite you.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Email no.1
Paul Nero said:
I think the Echo is going to do a balancing piece next week from a cycling charity. When you [Councillor Hughes] come in on Tuesday, perhaps we could talk about whether it's sensible to do a programme feature on this - with the charity and maybe you taking part? I too hope the cyclists shouldn't feel threatened by drivers - which is why the cycle paths are such an asset. The Tour of Britain was indeed a pleasure to watch and was well organised - one would hope that event together with the cycle paths promote cycling. Today on the old bridge at Topsham a pedestrian was walking on the road round the bend, rather than choosing the new bridge. There's no compulsion to use the new bridge - but it does seem such a waste, and a risk.
Mr Moore - the idea of going on some kind of course to do something on how motorists and cyclists and co-exist is a good one. I'll discuss with Sustrans. I'm a cyclist as well as a motorist and a pedestrian, and understand the issues of using cycles paths that are shared with pedestrians - or, as today near the Devon Motel, have a car parked on them, which doesn't help anyone. Where I'm wobbly is cycling on the road. I certainly wouldn't want to bully anyone; always slow down - and, as a clean driving licence will attest, never knowingly break the speed limit - including the 20 mph zone through Topsham. The point, arguably injudiciously expressed, is that it should be reasonable to expect cyclists to use the cycle paths. As the Highway Code say, it's the safer option, if not not compulsory. It does mean that cyclists may have to slow down for other people on the track - just as motorists do for other people on the road.
Email no.2
Paul Nero said:
I'd be concerned if anti-cyclist bullying was generated by the piece, and I wouldn't expect that to be the case - there is a "slow down" is the reasonable thing to do message in there - but I appreciate that it's not the major gist. The theme that's emerging is that there are two types of cyclist - some for whom cycle paths may not be the sensible option. As most people don't fall into that category, the issues are not necessarily understood. We do have airtime to explore both sides of the argument - but you're right, this was a polemical first-person piece that didn't set out to do that. I'm seeing Councillor Hughes this week and will see if we can put a programme together.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It is interesting to read these emails and then go back and read the original article again. So much back-pedalling I've rarely seen.
Quite so. 'Squirming' might be another word. All that's missing is an actual apology for being a prize prat. My remaining arguments with him would be about his contention that is piece wasn't likely to encourage anti-cyclist bullying (when that seemed to be one of its primary purposes), and that it is 'arguable' that is opinions were injudiciously expressed.

Top Bottom