"Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welshwheels

I often use the path down from Tumble and find it fine. Also the coast and Blackpill path and don t find it to problematic.
coastal path is ok but i have seen a lot of broken bottles on the one down from tumble might be that i usually ride on a sunday morning ???local yoofs smashing bottles of mad dog 20/20 while trying to pull a bird !!and wondering if you can get someone pregnant through 2 pairs of jeans :unsure::blush:

Not a single person pointed out that all of the cyclists must take a holiday or use the paths when the schools break up, as the traffic is so much more free flowing at those times...it is the only time I am not held up by cars in the entire year. What a prat.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Latest update from Paul Nero:

We're going to do a programme on the issue - probably Saturday 18 February at 4pm. It's a little while away yet, but seems the earliest date that Sustrans, Stuart Hughes and I can all do. So it's still to be confirmed. I expect we'll have a lot of content, but may we use some of the words from your email to highlight points? I'm probably going to try a bit of main road cycling with Sustrans too - not something I'd normally attempt.
And I replied:
Unfortunately articles like yours are all too likely to give ignorant motorists the sort of justification for the type of bullying that most road cyclists experience from time to time (even if that was not your intention), and which only helps to further polarise cyclists' and motorists' attitudes to each other. And that's a shame, because most motorists and cyclists ARE considerate. If you didn't think that your article would have the effect it has had, I think your judgement was flawed, I'm afraid.

I hope you won't find your road cycling too traumatic - and even learn to enjoy it. Last year I rode somewhat over 9000 miles, mostly on Devon roads, and loved nearly every minute of it (the few unpleasant moments being when meeting inconsiderate or unobservant drivers). I use my bike as a fast form of transport into Exeter (I average about 20mph, and often go at about 30mph towards Topsham: faster than the car, or train, for the places I want to get to), and for exercise/leisure. The cycle paths certainly are a superb resource for those who are either too nervous, or vulnerable on the road - you've only got to see the numbers using the route all the way from Exmouth, and along the sensibly-done BITS of Topsham Road to see what a difference they make. But for others, the road is the least worst place to be - and, at the end of the day, I do have not only a right to be there, but that is exactly where Government advice says I should be.

I hope (and suspect) that you might be getting a rather better picture of a subject which is somewhat more nuanced and incendiary than you reckoned for. In the modern world where thoughts can be beamed round the globe in minutes, it's worth being careful what you write.

Happy cycling!
BTW - the original article has now passed the 100-mark for replies. If it was designed to stir up controversy, it has succeeded. I still think that some good might come out of this. And I don't think Mr Nero has more friends now than he did a week ago.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Paul Nero said:
Yes, I agree with all of that (again). I expected a 50:50 split, but the world of forums means that groups can mobilise opinion faster. I'm a long-distance walker and face similar issues of (a small proportion) of motorists not allowing space or time. What I hope we have here is an opportunity to explain the issues, which we'll try to do sensibly on air next month. I drove through the 20mph zone in Topsham this morning at about 6am and was overtaken by two impatient cars. The issue of whether cycle paths should be used by all cyclists where they're provided is one worthy of debate - even if the outcome is 'actually, no, for these reasons'...With Stuart Hughes there, we can also explore why as both a cyclist and a decision-maker, it's hard to put in a cycle path that meets the needs of all cyclists. That's what we can set out to discuss in the programme next month. If you'd like to contribute, we can record a short piece. Whatever you decide, your points are soberly noted.

Wafu

Out of interest I took a ride out in on the cycle paths in Exeter today (I am normally a road user myself)

in my journey from Exwick to Topsham and back on the cycle paths I encountered a number of problems

1. Badly surfaced path at Flowerpot fields. The path was eroding to the point of pot holes which cyclists have to avoid so they aren't felled.
  2. the stretch along the river exe towards the quay still littered with flood debris making it difficult passage for cyclists and walkers.
  3. A woman walking her dog on an extendable lead. She was on the pedestrian side of the path the dog was on the other side of the cycle path with his lead acting like a trip wire. The woman became abusive when I slowed down and politely said 'excuse me'
  4. Pedestrians walking on the cycle path with unleashed dogs running around the place. snotty comments made when I slowed down, rang my bell and politely said 'excuse me'
  5. Section of cycle path between the clapper bridge and double locks path currently (and still!) closed. The road leading to the double looks looks as though the local Marines have been practising grenade throwing on it. Not good for cars or bikes.
  6. Topsham Road cycle path to the University of Exeter Sports ground. littered with road debris and glass. Only got as far as the UofE ground because another patch of glass caused a puncture!. (glad I had a spare inner tube on me)
Decided to cycle back home by road....no problems!

lukesdad

coastal path is ok but i have seen a lot of broken bottles on the one down from tumble might be that i usually ride on a sunday morning ???local yoofs smashing bottles of mad dog 20/20 while trying to pull a bird !!and wondering if you can get someone pregnant through 2 pairs of jeans :unsure::blush:
Mmm saw some of th latter on the coastal path 2nite..... I think ! :ohmy:

lukesdad

Yes, you stick to the gutter, and off in the cycle Bantustan where you belong, peasant. Stay out of the way of real road users. :P
:ohmy: ^_^

paddy01

Out of interest I took a ride out in on the cycle paths in Exeter today (I am normally a road user myself)

in my journey from Exwick to Topsham and back on the cycle paths I encountered a number of problems

1. Badly surfaced path at Flowerpot fields. The path was eroding to the point of pot holes which cyclists have to avoid so they aren't felled.
  2. the stretch along the river exe towards the quay still littered with flood debris making it difficult passage for cyclists and walkers.
  3. A woman walking her dog on an extendable lead. She was on the pedestrian side of the path the dog was on the other side of the cycle path with his lead acting like a trip wire. The woman became abusive when I slowed down and politely said 'excuse me'
  4. Pedestrians walking on the cycle path with unleashed dogs running around the place. snotty comments made when I slowed down, rang my bell and politely said 'excuse me'
  5. Section of cycle path between the clapper bridge and double locks path currently (and still!) closed. The road leading to the double looks looks as though the local Marines have been practising grenade throwing on it. Not good for cars or bikes.
  6. Topsham Road cycle path to the University of Exeter Sports ground. littered with road debris and glass. Only got as far as the UofE ground because another patch of glass caused a puncture!. (glad I had a spare inner tube on me)
Decided to cycle back home by road....no problems!

Must admit I don't use the bits after Topsham. On my commute I use the cycle paths (Exe Trail) from Exmouth, through Lympstone, Exton to Darts Farm then once I'm across the new bridge by the Bridge Inn I stick to the road until I drop down from Countess Wier roundabout to the swing bridge and pick up the path at the canal.

Could be the times I use it but I tend to only come across other commuters / joggers, and it was stunning riding along there just after 7am this morning in the stillness of the moonlight with a light mist rolling across the water.

Wafu

Must admit I don't use the bits after Topsham. On my commute I use the cycle paths (Exe Trail) from Exmouth, through Lympstone, Exton to Darts Farm then once I'm across the new bridge by the Bridge Inn I stick to the road until I drop down from Countess Wier roundabout to the swing bridge and pick up the path at the canal.

Could be the times I use it but I tend to only come across other commuters / joggers, and it was stunning riding along there just after 7am this morning in the stillness of the moonlight with a light mist rolling across the water.

Normally I wouldn't take the cycle path along that stretch of Topsham Road, but I decided to just out of interest in the light of the comments made in the Echo.

I certainly won't be using that section of cycle path again and will be sticking to the road....it's safer!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Copy/pasted entry from facebook (cos I'm lazy):
Poor fellow. He thought he was safe amongst a group of greying business folk. So I introduced myself as 'chair of Audax UK, long distance cycling in the UK'. Upshot is we had a long chat. He's got a chatshow scheduled with Stuart Hughes and others. He's planning a cycle ride with the Sustrans bloke and wondering whether he can be wired up to comment live as he's riding. His business partner, who is a cyclist, told him he was an idiot. Interesting that EE&E cut his article, removing the bit saying that he cycled.

yello

That last email from Mr Nero is a considered and sensible response - the man's no idiot. That leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was doing with this opinion piece.

Sadly, I think that is the vogue with opinion pieces. Create a reaction (for whatever purpose) knowing full well that one can temper it, or even apologise 'for any offence caused' (i.e. lip service), at a later date. I dunno, perhaps it's a valid tactic to promote debate... perhaps.

dawesome

That last email from Mr Nero is a considered and sensible response - the man's no idiot. That leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was doing with this opinion piece.

Sadly, I think that is the vogue with opinion pieces. Create a reaction (for whatever purpose) knowing full well that one can temper it, or even apologise 'for any offence caused' (i.e. lip service), at a later date. I dunno, perhaps it's a valid tactic to promote debate... perhaps.

maybe, but I hope someone can explain to Mr Nero that his threats are bread and butter to the meat heads who use their vehicles as weapons.

Top Bottom