"Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah, one of my major claims to fame is that I'm allowed to drink in the inner sanctum behind the bar. Best pub in the world. It's still the only pub the Queen has been in: she dropped in when she was cycling from Exeter to Lympstone in 1999. I think she was cycling, anyway. If she didn't she should have. Would have been quicker.
Blimey, you are most honoured!
Quite why the Queen was cycling from Lympstone to Exeter mind is anyones guess?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
One of the comments said to comment directly to the FM facebook page, so I have put in my tuppence there (since I have an account):
http://www.facebook.com/exeterfm

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Quite why the Queen was cycling from Lympstone to Exeter mind is anyones guess?
Sorry, I made that bit up for humorous effect. See, just like Mr Nero was trying to gain attention, though I didn't think threats of grievous bodily harm were the way to go. Anyway, her visit is documented here.

Wow. A late night and 'shocked' response from the main man at Devon County Council. He said he probably wouldn't respond directly to such 'literary tripe' (better for reactions to come from the general cycling and non-cycling public), but that he would 'invite' the E&E to run a positive article on all the cycling achievements in Devon - it really is a good story (Coast to Coast, Tour of Britain, major investment in lots of good cycle infrastructure, etc.) that is worth trumpeting.

The problem is pieces like the original tend to go national virally. The response tends to go nowhere. Net result, everyone still gets the impression Exeter is not a welcoming place for cyclists. What is needed is some reaction stronger than the original that will go viral itself.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
And this is why I don't listen to local radio - failed DJs taking out their frustration on their 4 listeners, interspersed with adverts for webuyanycar.

If he hadn't managed to get it in print on a blog it wouldn't have been noticed at all.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If he hadn't managed to get it in print on a blog it wouldn't have been noticed at all.
The original is a guest column in the Exeter Express & Echo newspaper. It's automatically copied to the website. He will have been invited to contribute.

I don't know the road in question, so take back this point if the entire stretch is an uphill...

...but is anyone wondering who the cyclist clad in lycra are that are 'holding him up' on a 20mph limit road? I don't have the balls to wear lycra yet, but he'd actually be more likely to be holding ME up slightly if he kept to the speed limit!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
1671206 said:
And they wouldn't be wrong. Much the same on any interest group forum. Anyone looked at Pistonheads recently, by way of a random example.
I would like to think we are reasonably balanced here?

If someone came on with a video of them RLJ'ing, riding with no lights on the pavement, we would all (rightly) turn on them.

I can't think of a time when irresponsible cycling has been supported here, yet on a daily basis all over the country, careless and dangerous driving is excused - all because we don't pay road tax?

Top Bottom