Why do so many Pro Racing Cyclists now have Beards ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Oh! and the other key word is "Hygiene" ?

Scientists discovered men with beards have more germs in their hairs than dogs carry in their fur. A new study found that every sample of beard hair collected was crawling with bacteria. Nearly half had bugs and bacteria considered hazardous to human health,...

Men's beards carry more germs than dog fur, according to science...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04-men-beards-germs-dog-fur.html
My beard sometimes contains strands of dog hair but I continue to thrive.

Oh! and the other key word is "Hygiene" ?

Hygiene ... hmmmm ... An average keyboard has about 400 times more bacteria on it that does the average toilet seat, and the mouth of the average human contains more bacteria than does their anus. But what does that actually mean, in practical terms, given that saliva is a fairly decent disinfectant but very few of us lick toilet seats ...?

Beards can reduce the risk of skin cancer by reducing the amount of damaging UV which strikes the skin. A beard also acts as thermal and physical protection in cold and windy weather. A good full beard can help keep airborne bacteria out of your mouth and upper airways which helps protect against all sorts of infections, especially respiratory tract ones. This has been formally recognised for around 150 years. Asthma and sufferers from reactive airways conditions can benefit from wearing a beard - that extra bit of filtration provided by a full beard can make a significant difference for some men. Sufferers of many skin conditions are benefited by the extra protection to the skin that casing shaving and growing a beard of any sort can provide.

And last but not least, many women of great beauty, talent, taste and discernment find a beard on a man to increases his attractiveness by a significant degree. Of course that might just be because it hides his face to some extent, and of course it may be that you are not attracted to such women but even so, I think it counts for something, does it not?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland's Hirslanden Clinic, said: 'The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men's beards compared with the dogs' fur.' The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels.

Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a 'significantly' lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

'On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,' said Dr Gutzeit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eadly-bacteria-facial-hair-study-reveals.html

classic33

Leg End Member
Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland's Hirslanden Clinic, said: 'The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men's beards compared with the dogs' fur.' The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels.

Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a 'significantly' lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

'On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,' said Dr Gutzeit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eadly-bacteria-facial-hair-study-reveals.html
Second hand report of third hand reporting. A link to the actual research would validate "your" claim.
That is just another link to a study on the reseach, not the reasearch.

As for
1625315320538.png

1625315258653.png

Is he best placed to comment.

classic33

Leg End Member

Stay out of your garage.
https://www.lung.org/blog/your-garage-and-a-cigarette

They don't seem to slow runners down
1625315726602.png

Attachments

• 1625315727411.png
    1625315727411.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 3

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Second hand report of third hand reporting. A link to the actual research would validate "your" claim.
That is just another link to a study on the reseach, not the reasearch.

As for
View attachment 597133
View attachment 597131
Is he best placed to comment.
Clearly not. But then dubious conclusions reached from dubious evidence are the OP's stock in trade. That, and dreadful grammar. Random punctuation, pointless use of capital letters....terrible readability and distracts from any point he might actually make.

classic33

Leg End Member
Clearly not. But then dubious conclusions reached from dubious evidence are the OP's stock in trade. That, and dreadful grammar. Random punctuation, pointless use of capital letters....terrible readability and distracts from any point he might actually make.
Jan doesn't seem to let things like that bother him.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Hygiene ... hmmmm ... An average keyboard has about 400 times more bacteria on it that does the average toilet seat, and the mouth of the average human contains more bacteria than does their anus. But what does that actually mean, in practical terms, given that saliva is a fairly decent disinfectant but very few of us lick toilet seats ...?

Beards can reduce the risk of skin cancer by reducing the amount of damaging UV which strikes the skin. A beard also acts as thermal and physical protection in cold and windy weather. A good full beard can help keep airborne bacteria out of your mouth and upper airways which helps protect against all sorts of infections, especially respiratory tract ones. This has been formally recognised for around 150 years. Asthma and sufferers from reactive airways conditions can benefit from wearing a beard - that extra bit of filtration provided by a full beard can make a significant difference for some men. Sufferers of many skin conditions are benefited by the extra protection to the skin that casing shaving and growing a beard of any sort can provide.

And last but not least, many women of great beauty, talent, taste and discernment find a beard on a man to increases his attractiveness by a significant degree. Of course that might just be because it hides his face to some extent, and of course it may be that you are not attracted to such women but even so, I think it counts for something, does it not?

You are forensically accurate in all particulars here, Knitty.

My handlebar moustache has been an effective treatment for asthma, which, though mild, did affect me occasionally, when cycling through smoggy conurbations. I have fine hair, which is all the better for particulate filtration. For others thinking along these lines, I have considerable data on preferred waxes too. Fume absorption is much improved in well-treated moustaches, and the maintenance of dapper aspect is of course a priority too. One kills two birds with one light application (refresh once, after tea).

I am a heterosexual man, believe it or not, and can attest to the increased emotional and sexual urgency of the opposite sex since I went ”full handle”. (DM for details). In many of the exit interviews I’ve carried out for my research programme, the anecdotal evidence and overall graph seems to indicate an increased satisfaction level of around 42% over equivalent shaven encounters. Until I have completed my work, this data cant be classed as rigorous. I intend to press on with it for quite a while yet.

Working outside every day in all weathers has always bothered me - I keep my shirt on in summer (I don’t need to make the chicks swoon - the moustache is right out there, front and centre, doing the heavy lifting) to avoid the Big C. Of course I have a lovely full head of hair, but always wear a decent hat to keep out the stone dust and the woodchips (we call it all man glitter) and to shade my nose and brow. But no sensible brim is big enough to avoid a burnt chin- end or top lip. Not till you see the future, and get on the full frizz. Just like you said, bearded men never die of face cancer. This is scientific fact.

I haven’t had a cold since I grew a beard. All my bald-faced friends drop like flies with splutters come winter. Tummy bugs or squitters? Not since the handlebar went into full force. One or two upsets when only bearded, and in Marrakech, but I put that down to badly-groomed fingernails after the souk pickpocket lifted my Swiss Army Knice on the third day, leaving me without scissors and nail file.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had a beard since 1977. Contrary to the OP I see shaving as perverse. Why spend a few minutes scraping your face every morning in order to look effeminate/pre-pubescent?

Dunno, but most modern, maintained beards look well hard work, much more than 5 mins with the leccy razor. Bzzzz.

Top Bottom