Why do they make prawn cocktail crisps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I do miss is Tudor crisps. They were gorgeous. 'Specially the curry flavoured ones :biggrin:
(...a canny bag of Tudor...... :mrpig:)

Come here MDB
d074.gif

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have never seen some of those flavours!

As to the vitally important original question - "Why do they make prawn cocktail crisps?" - I was going to suggest that the world has to find some way of using up all those damn prawns, but I reckon that @Fab Foodie will be along in a minute to tell us that prawn cocktail crisps don't actually contain any prawns! :laugh:
I doubt they've ever seen a Prawn! The clue is possibly in the description - Prawn Cocktail 'flavour' which does not necessarily need to contain extract of Prawn ....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Wikipedia inform me that "Prawn cocktail flavour crisps were the second most popular in the UK in 2004, with a 16% market share"

Stats from Daily Record (from Scotchland) which gives a 2004 rundown, as follows:
1 Salt and vinegar 27%
2 Prawn cocktail 16%
3 Cheese and onion 14%
4 Ready salted 12%
5 Worcester sauce 7%
6=Tomato ketchup 6% 6=Bacon 6%
8 Chicken 5%
9 Pickled onion 4%
10 Beef 3%

The Metro, in Feb this year, gave the following dubious list:
(I say dubious, because it puts 'cheese' first, and cheese & onion appear further down the list. The survey was done on behalf of Pringles, who make a cheese flavour, but PRINGLES AREN'T CRISPS! They should have stuck to dodgy jumpers and socks, imho.

1. Cheese

2. Salted

3. Cheese & Onion

4. Salt & Vinegar

5. Hot Pepper/Chili

6. BBQ

7. Beef

8. Fish/Seafood

9. Sour Cream & Onion

10. Lightly Salted

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
These remind me of happy childhood holidays in Ireland.

An uncle, on a visit to Blighty, couldn't get why pub landlords didn't understand him when he asked for "a packet of Taytos".

taytos.gif

Top Bottom