1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you cycle?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Spoked Wheels, 9 Aug 2007.

?
  1. To keep fit or keep weight under control

100.0%
  2. To compet

100.0%
  3. To travel to work, school, university or to the shops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. To loose weight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. For pleasure only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

I would be interested why people cycle.

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Cheaper, easier and better for me than a car, faster then walking, better for carrying a load of stuff and I enjoy it...

3. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

I started to lose a few pounds - and it worked - I lost 2.5stone in 4 months last year - significant changes to diet too!

however, i really really enjoy it so have kept it up. I did a coast-2-coast ride earlier this year and i have just bought a new 'fixed gear' bike to see what that is like.

oh also - now, a year on, I can have a curry at the weekends and perhaps a couple of beers without needing to go get a size bigger jeans the monday after - and this is a nice added benefit!

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

That's not really a good poll - I need to tick several boxes and 'pleasure' is one of them, but not 'pleasure only'.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

started off as a good way of combining commuting with getting fit. now got the bug so go out at the weekend, often with my local club.

so i'm voting "other"

6. Peyote

Peyote New Member

It's fun!

Transport - (IME) it's more reliable than a car or public transport (PT)

Enjoyment - It's fun, I love cycling!

Economics - It's potentially a lot cheaper than car/PT, though my bank balance doesn't seem to bear this out!

Mental Health - It's great for my fix of seratonin and adrenaline 'cos it's fun.

Health - Keeps me fit, allows me to eat excessive amounts of cake and pies without turning into a bloater!

Oh yeah and did I mention I quite enjoy cycling.

Then there's the usual side benefits of being a smug, environmentaly friendly, non-polluting hippie-type, tree hugger.

The look on drivers faces when you filter between them is another great reason.

The list goes on, and I haven't even started on MTBing yet!

7. dangerousjules

dangerousjules New Member

i snapped 10 years ago on the underground i was absolutley furious that i was paying an extortionate amount to be transported worse than cattle would be so i took my hobby and turned it into my commute too. never looked back and only rarely use the underground, now i can make my £10 oystercard last a month!

8. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Because of the almost zen-like feeling of passing painlessly through the great f**ked up machine that is the modern city.

9. dangerousjules

dangerousjules New Member

true true

10. Pete

Pete Guest

Just about all the points that have already been mentioned above, yes. Except competitive cycling, but I can't be doing everything!

Am I allowed to say "to help save the planet"? Or is that too tree-hugging?

11. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Melvil that is a beautiful post. Chapeau

My main reasons are enjoyment and health, followed by economics, althouth Peyote definitely has a point!

In terms of health though, I've found I've put on weight since I began commuting in earnest this year. I have lost the balloon that was my distended gut but I have leg bulges now that weren't there before, and they're clearly heavier than the gut was!!

Admittedly I do eat like I am the Pig King of Antioch though.

12. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

muscle weighs more than fat. that's why i don't do scales, what's the point?

13. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Because I enjoy it for all the reasons mentioned above and I've made a good few friends because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind drugs in cycling, cycling in itself is a drug to me, but I'm not complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Blonde

Blonde New Member

All of the above.

15. ajevans

ajevans New Member

It started off as a desire to lose weight after getting a bit chubby at the end of uni. Apparently having lots of toppings on your pizza and mixing your drinks doesn't constitute a balanced diet.

Now it's mainly for pleasure as unfortunately it can't be used for a sensible commute.