Why do you cycle?

What is the main reason for your cycling?

• To travel to work, school, university or to the shops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To loose weight

• For pleasure only

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheaper, easier and better for me than a car, faster then walking, better for carrying a load of stuff and I enjoy it...

gkerr4

I started to lose a few pounds - and it worked - I lost 2.5stone in 4 months last year - significant changes to diet too!

however, i really really enjoy it so have kept it up. I did a coast-2-coast ride earlier this year and i have just bought a new 'fixed gear' bike to see what that is like.

oh also - now, a year on, I can have a curry at the weekends and perhaps a couple of beers without needing to go get a size bigger jeans the monday after - and this is a nice added benefit!

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's not really a good poll - I need to tick several boxes and 'pleasure' is one of them, but not 'pleasure only'.

Peyote

It's fun!

Transport - (IME) it's more reliable than a car or public transport (PT)

Enjoyment - It's fun, I love cycling!

Economics - It's potentially a lot cheaper than car/PT, though my bank balance doesn't seem to bear this out!

Mental Health - It's great for my fix of seratonin and adrenaline 'cos it's fun.

Health - Keeps me fit, allows me to eat excessive amounts of cake and pies without turning into a bloater!

Oh yeah and did I mention I quite enjoy cycling.

Then there's the usual side benefits of being a smug, environmentaly friendly, non-polluting hippie-type, tree hugger.

The look on drivers faces when you filter between them is another great reason.

The list goes on, and I haven't even started on MTBing yet!

i snapped 10 years ago on the underground i was absolutley furious that i was paying an extortionate amount to be transported worse than cattle would be so i took my hobby and turned it into my commute too. never looked back and only rarely use the underground, now i can make my £10 oystercard last a month!

Melvil

Because of the almost zen-like feeling of passing painlessly through the great f**ked up machine that is the modern city.

true true

Pete

Just about all the points that have already been mentioned above, yes. Except competitive cycling, but I can't be doing everything!

Am I allowed to say "to help save the planet"? Or is that too tree-hugging?

Tetedelacourse

Melvil that is a beautiful post. Chapeau

My main reasons are enjoyment and health, followed by economics, althouth Peyote definitely has a point!

In terms of health though, I've found I've put on weight since I began commuting in earnest this year. I have lost the balloon that was my distended gut but I have leg bulges now that weren't there before, and they're clearly heavier than the gut was!!

Admittedly I do eat like I am the Pig King of Antioch though.

Keith Oates

Janner
Because I enjoy it for all the reasons mentioned above and I've made a good few friends because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind drugs in cycling, cycling in itself is a drug to me, but I'm not complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajevans

It started off as a desire to lose weight after getting a bit chubby at the end of uni. Apparently having lots of toppings on your pizza and mixing your drinks doesn't constitute a balanced diet.

Now it's mainly for pleasure as unfortunately it can't be used for a sensible commute.

Top Bottom