Why do you cycle?

What is the main reason for your cycling?

• To travel to work, school, university or to the shops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To loose weight

• For pleasure only

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First and foremost I consider it to be one of the purest forms of freedom there is, whether it be a 20-minute commute, a day's ride, or a month/year-long venture. The sense of well-being is difficult to describe, but to those who know, no words are necessary.
It is a quick and convenient way to see places not seen from travelling by public transport/own vehicle.
As a means of exercise I would far rather cycle for two hours than run for 30 minutes.
Naturally if you cycle regularly you will lose weight and become fit(ter - less fat ;)).

Forget all those images of everyone travelling in the future by their own jet-pack, the bicycle is already here (although jet-packing could be fun!). :ohmy:

Cab

I just can't see any better way of getting around to be honest. A better question would be why do so many people NOT cycle.

fuzzy29

I cycle for lots of reasons, getting out into the countryside, fitness, buying bike stuff, etc. I like the fact that I have travelled to some amazing places that I would never have been to if it wasn't for cycling. I also like reading the magazines and getting excited about some CNC'd bit of aluminium. But mainly, it's for that overall feeling that you get from cycling. The feeling that makes you go out dressed in lycra in the middle of winter or cycle up a steep hill in the middle of summer.

To get to work, to keep fit, to save money, to save the planet (ok a very small bit of it), because I enjoy it, because people think I'm mad, because I am mad.......;)

asterix

Comrade Member
It's a far better way of seeing the world than driving a car and more fun than walking (although I can enjoy a walk now and then). People who think cycling is mad must be mad!

Charlotte_C+ :-)

Peyote said:
It's fun!

Transport - (IME) it's more reliable than a car or public transport (PT)

Enjoyment - It's fun, I love cycling!

Economics - It's potentially a lot cheaper than car/PT, though my bank balance doesn't seem to bear this out!

Mental Health - It's great for my fix of seratonin and adrenaline 'cos it's fun.

Health - Keeps me fit, allows me to eat excessive amounts of cake and pies without turning into a bloater!

Oh yeah and did I mention I quite enjoy cycling.

Then there's the usual side benefits of being a smug, environmentaly friendly, non-polluting hippie-type, tree hugger.

The look on drivers faces when you filter between them is another great reason.

The list goes on, and I haven't even started on MTBing yet!

Totally agree!!:ohmy:;)

longers

Legendary Member
Charlotte_C+ :-);36954][QUOTE=Peyote said:
It's fun!

Economics - It's potentially a lot cheaper than car/PT, though my bank balance doesn't seem to bear this out!

Mental Health - It's great for my fix of seratonin and adrenaline 'cos it's fun.

Health - Keeps me fit, allows me to eat excessive amounts of cake and pies without turning into a bloater!

Then there's the usual side benefits of being a smug, environmentaly friendly, non-polluting hippie-type, tree hugger.

Totally agree!!:ohmy:;)[/QUOTE]

+1:biggrin:

graham56

Guru
Peyote said:
It's fun!

I`ll go along with that, just about sums it up:biggrin:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Arch said:
That's not really a good poll - I need to tick several boxes and 'pleasure' is one of them, but not 'pleasure only'.

The Poll title is "What is the main reason for your cycling?" so only one option is required

Rick

monnet

Guru
My dad always cycled so like any kid I wanted to be like him. I got my first 5 speed 'racer' when I was eight, spent my teenage years using my bike as means of transport and now I go out whenever I can, for as far as I have time for. I've always loved riding a bike and I feel great when I'm doing it and when I'm not cycling I probably spend an abnormal amount of time thinking about it!

monnet

Guru
It also saves on hideous gym membership fees, although I've only recently realised this as firends have been moaning about getting value for money out of their memberships. I've never really been a full time gym member (I've done plenty of circuit training and the like in winter) so it made me realise what value for money cycling offers.

And aren't the views you get at teh top of the hills and on the coast roads brilliant?

RRSODL;36968][quote name= said:
That's not really a good poll - I need to tick several boxes and 'pleasure' is one of them, but not 'pleasure only'.

The Poll title is "What is the main reason for your cycling?" so only one option is required

Rick[/QUOTE]

To keep fit or keep weight under control
To compet
To travel to work, school, university or to the shops
To loose weight
For pleasure only
Other

What's the difference, then?

Top Bottom