Why do you cycle?

What is the main reason for your cycling?

• To travel to work, school, university or to the shops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To loose weight

• For pleasure only

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

Why do fools fall in love?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Arch said:
Goo, do you know about the scooting method for learning to ride a bike? Might be what you little girl needs.

In case you don't: (and apologies if you do)

Take pedals off bike and put saddle low so she can reach the floor comfortably with both feet.

Encourage her to scoot along pushing with her feet. She'll start slow, but as she gets her balance, each step will get longer, and pretty soon she'll be freewheeling in between 'steps'. She'll be learning steering, balance and brakes, without the same risk of falling over and without having to cope with action of pedalling at the same time.

Once she's confident with freewheeling, steering and stopping when she wants to (if you can find a very gentle downhill slope, so much the better) you can replace the pedals and it'll be almost instinctive for her to pedal. Then you can start to raise the saddle gradually.

I taught a middle aged man to ride this way, in 45 minutes - showed him what to do and off he went and came back in less than an hour to have the pedals on, and away he went. Kids are pretty quick to learn.

Thanks Arch,

I was aware of that method and tried it. She has a huge streak of my ex in her, unfortunately, and has no patience. If the bike started leaning over to one side as she attempted to scoot, she got off, let the bike fall and started throwing a hissy fit !! It's now got to the point that she goes into a strop if I dare even mention having a try at her bike. I guess she'll try again and learn in time, but for now she has her mother's stubborn streak and won't try it.

The worst thing I can do right now is keep on at her, as that will just create an issue with her and bikes !

Top Bottom