Why do you like...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do you like Strava? I'd like to get some people's thoughts on this, as the only thing I see it useful for is competing with random people or stealing KOMs from other riders.

As a cycling app, it sucks compared to the likes of Cyclemeter.

Cheers for any opinions on the app. - TLC

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's easy to input in to, I can see what my friends did. I use it and MapMyRide together for logging stuff but the latter gets the best data (I.e I'll fill in unlogged rides) and is my preferred mapping tool. I don't care much about segments, I'm happy to get a PR or whatever, but don't ride for them. If it was a chore I'd happily drop it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've only just started using it so can't comment long term, but I want to see if it will pick up when my "performance" drops due to health, and give me an earlier indicator. I've also found it can make me push a little harder sometimes, which is good as I tend to pootle, so this way I put in a bit more effort on the fitness.

So I'm interested in competing against myself mostly, apart from one segment where I got to joint first place without trying, and then every time I did try, there would always be a reason why I had to abandon seeing it I could go faster, or I would just equal my previous attempts even though I was now trying and previously I hadn't been!! Then this week managed to beat it by 4 seconds. So I'm happy!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's simple, I can keep a record of mileage through my phone without having to get frustrated by the stupid garmin!

I look at how I fare on segments, but I don't go out trying to beat times (too much traffic most of the time which is the main impact on my segment times around here, not my legs)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Strava has its down sides, but it has some redeeming features. Its main plus point is the sheer volume of people who use it. I can't go on Endomondo or Ride with GPS and see Laurens Ten Dam ride in the tour de France or Vuelta. On Strava I can ride up the local Cat2 climb and see how much quicker the pro's are and how I compare to my mates. I can discuss the group ride with other members after we all go home or give them kudos for the ride, and I can see how my mates are doing when I haven't ridden with them for a while.
It does a reasonable amount of data for the not so serious and gives them that little bit of an added motivation to PB or KOM.
Biggest downside imho is the stalker element. There are a few around.
As purely a tracking app it may not be the greatest but it is the extra bits and social interaction where it scores for many.

Last edited:

DannyCFC

I mainly use Strava because of the Cycle Chat group and I prefer the way segments are presented to other apps. It's just something to look at in an idle moment, really.

davdandy

Most of the above.

Simple to use.You can see and use your own data to evaluate how you are progressing.You can see how your friends and even strangers fair compared to you.You can join groups or invite them to yours and have a virtual team.many many other things make Strava one of the best things to happen to cycling in years.I love it.

tadpole

Strava does what I want to do, and works in the way I want it to work. Like most apps I only use 10% of it's functions 90% of the time.

davdandy

I mainly use Strava because of the Cycle Chat group and I prefer the way segments are presented to other apps. It's just something to look at in an idle moment, really.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

I cannot commute on the bike,i use a van for gear.So cannot clock up the miles as they do so an unfair advantage on me i feel,i would never get on the top ten because of this so would become invisible.I like the group though.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It's simple to use with my phone, or transferring data from elsewhere.
I can compare times with all my friends.
I can see if I'm improving, I can easily see how hard I worked on a ride.
I can see my friends' rides, and see how much harder they are training than I am, which makes me go out and ride more. Which is good.
Integration with other apps.

The sheer amount of segments is sometimes ridiculous.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I enjoy the challenges and looking at other peoples rides. Whilst it is nice to get a PR on a segment I don't really go out to attack segments unless I have a stonking tailwind.

Nathan AV

I enjoy seeing my my medal haul with PB's. That shows me that i'm getting better... or there's a really strong tailwind!
I dont think its been mentioned yet (apologies if it has) but I also use it for routes and directions. Ive been living in my current area for just over a year and with Strava I can see what routes are available, where they go, loops/laps etc and its helped vary the rides.
It certainly helps the social aspect as being part of a club we can all discuss certain sections/rides and it does bring the competitive edge out in a few of us. A segment before the cafe stop is one which we all enjoy bursting a lung for and gives everyone a reason to get the heart really pumping.

paul04

Über Member
Like some of the others have said, simple to set up, and easy to use.
It has a lot of features, some use them all, and some people just use the basic functions, like myself.

Top Bottom