Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's a long story, but Hitler played a role.
I know he was a bit of a cad, but I didn't think that even he would stoop so low as to become an estate agent.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I lived in Birmingham and a work colleague mentioned that a company in Poole Dorset was looking for someone to do a similar job to the one that I was performing. I applied by post and had an invitation to attend for an interview. I moved down in 1978 and the family followed a few months later. It's handy for the heathlands and countryside but the beaches are best avoided in tourist season. There are some really good pubs in walking / cycling distance, we live on a bus route, and in walking distance of a several shops which has enabled us to give up the car.
We're also members of a local WhatsApp group, the " Brompton Real Ale Society " who have the occasional spins out to various micro breweries and pubs ^_^

Sharky

Guru
Raised on Merseyside (or really Lancashire) until age 19. Father was relocated to Kent and the whole family moved down. Missed the North tremendously at first, but found jobs and wife down here and with parents and siblings down here made new roots. Still miss the North, but now have children and grandchildren and nephews and nieces all down here, so apart from occasional visits, unlikely to return.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got a very tempting job offer in 1972 and moved from near Glasgow to a west coast island.
Island life is always a challenge but there was a good community spirit and youth activities as well as a good school.
Good place to live now spoiled by tourism and the overcrowding just now is unbearable for all long term residents.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I live where I live because it’s here where I’m at home. Home for me is not a house or a town, but rather a place where I can feel a sense of peace living close to the people that matter most to me in life (my family and friends).

Brandane

Legendary Member
I got a very tempting job offer in 1972 and moved from near Glasgow to a west coast island.
Island life is always a challenge but there was a good community spirit and youth activities as well as a good school.
Good place to live now spoiled by tourism and the overcrowding just now is unbearable for all long term residents.
I did it the other way round! Moved from a west coast island (Bute) back in 1982, aged 20. There was nothing much in the way of jobs there, so I signed up to Strathclyde polis. With good reason, they don't tend to have you working in your home town, so for my sins I was stationed at Greenock. Due to the shifts involved and lack of ferries outwith "normal" hours, I had no choice but to relocate.
Initially I moved to the area local to where I worked as I had no driving licence and public transport was again thin on the ground at times when I needed it. I quickly realised that living in an area that you Police is far from ideal! So I got myself a driving licence and moved to somewhere I thought was nice enough, and within reasonable commutable distance. 30+ years later and I'm still in the same house on the "Costa Clyde", 15 miles from where I used to work.

Slick

Guru
Long story cut short, work.

We did sell our house at the back end of last year as Mrs Slick was never convinced it was for her and as the one we were going to buy fell through, we have been renting privately ever since. We have had a couple of false dawns, but it looks like we have finally had success as we have had an offer accepted on a house that is still in my cycle to work distance, (just:eek:) and it brings us back to the coast. :wahhey:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Married in 1968.
I had a good job at Cadburys on the Wirral so we lived in New Brighton.
My Dad was the original miserable barsteward.........he said it would never work and did all he could to prove it.
So......12 months later we moved to Warrington where MrsDs parents made us so welcome.
54 years later we are still happy here.

Top Bottom