Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I know he was a bit of a cad, but I didn't think that even he would stoop so low as to become an estate agent.
I don’t know if anyone else is familiar with a 1980s (I think) book about the Archers called ‘Unheard Ambridge’ that poked fun at the many characters who never had a voice on air but were regularly mentioned. In it, Mr Rodway of local estate agents Rodway and Rowley was depicted as looking suspiciously like Adolf.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Born and raised in Hampshire after leaving home I moved around the country a bit - Worcester, York, Birmingham. Met my wife in York and 38 years ago we bought a terraced cottage in a very small Lancashire village when we moved here for work.

Been here ever since. It's a true community. It's home and I'll only leave in a box.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Work.
Grew up a few miles outside Stockport. At the time my employer had offices all over the UK, so I had more flexibility than Mrs B, who had to get a job where she could after leaving university and applied for jobs nationwide. Our first two houses were because of where she secured jobs. The last house move was because my job moved me.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Born and raised in the West Riding.

Joined the Civil Service at 18 and ended up inside a year posted to London. Lived for a year and a bit in a men's hostel as was the way for posted youngsters at the time. Moved out to a shared house in Stanmore with some guys from the hostel. Rest of the gang found that too far out and we retreated to Cricklewood/Golders Green fringes but in meantime I'd joined a walking/cycling group in Harrow. A couple more house shares, met girl and settled down in a rented flat then house in Watford.

Started looking for a long term home further out of London with Mrs B teaching locally and me commuting to London. Needed to be north of London for access to parents who were knocking on. Northampton and its villages fitted the bill and we moved to current village in 1990. Bigger house followed in 98.

Nice enough village well positioned for travel as retried caravanners. Might move nearer our children in N Wales and Merseyside in due course.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I left Ireland to get away from bad people and came to lodge with my brother, whom, at the time, I thought lived in Scotland, it wasn’t until I had driven off the ferry and bought a road atlas that I realised that Barrow-in-Furness was in England and not a suburb of Glasgow. A bit of luck meant I could buy a house here and finally get away from working for the health service.

Born and lived in NW Coventry for first 22 years of my life, Mum and Dad having moved from just up the road (Brum), just after they got married in the early 60's.

Then lived in nearby Leamington Spa and then Southam (South Warks), moving with work to West Somerset (my choice) in 2006, as had always wanted to live in the South West (of England) / close to the sea, since a tiny kid on our holidays to North Devon.

Now live with my gorgeous wife and cool dog, in a great house, with a garden that drops down giving us fantastic views over the beach, Exmoor and the Welsh coast. Lovely part of the world, laid back friends, definitely slower pace of life than back in the Midlands (though we lived in lovely areas there too). Only downside, is that it's very difficult to find much in the way of "easy" routes on the bike 😀 Happy to say we are already in our dream house, albeit looking to retire in next 3 to 6 years.

Brandane

Legendary Member
may need to move somewhere more midgy
Coming to the west side then?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I came to my brothers wedding in Denmark. I got legless and announced to everyone that I was leaving England to work with my brother making Sails. 2 months later I had left a good job in banking, sold my newly built house, for twice what I had paid for it. I loaded my volvo up and drove to Denmark 17 years on I am still here and I love it. ^_^

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Working for a small Government department and got an office transfer offer out of the blue 16 years ago. Was going through a mid life crisis at the time, thinking of packing it all in and buying a narrow boat to live on, when the offer came. It was a no brainer - so we moved to North Devon.
Currently live in a nice village on the coast and retired 6 years ago.
Our best mates moved to Minehead last Christmas and it's set us thinking about moving to Somerset to be nearer to them.
May well move within the next couple of years.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Job, was very lucky and it is in demand in Baleares. Sometimes I hate it for brief moments in the height of the season (traffic, heat, being on the islands, sometimes the natives are too native), but then I take a 2 min walk at 7am to the beach and have a morning swim and it all disappears.

Top Bottom