Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
Moved to Normandy 17 years ago. I had worked in the Civil Service for 34 years, a job I was totally unsuited for. It was also shift work which I found increasingly hard. But as they say it payed the mortgage and our 2 children. When the mortgage was paid and the children independent we bought a house in Normandy. The following year I walked out of the office and never went back, sold our UK house and made the big move. It was the best thing we ever did. Lovely friendly and welcoming community. A great way of life. A house with land that would be a dream in the UK. Roads are great for cycling. No regrets.

Baldy

Über Member
Ten years in the Army followed by ten years on the hippy trail. Ended up back home in Leicester, living with my Dad. He died, I split up with my girlfriend, I was made redundant all in the same month. I was spending a lot of time traveling to and from Scotland to go climbing, skiing, kayaking anyway so I moved here. I figured the central belt would be most likely place to find work, that didn't work out but I've got by. Still here 19 years on.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Met Mrs A_T at Dundee Uni, she got a job first in Newcastle. I followed 2 years later, married, children- still in the same house 30 years later. It was 90 miles to both sets of parents so they were no help and then they all moved to us after the children left for university!

Our first grandchild is due in a month so once she's settled in we'll be moving near to them while we're useful!

Village has a sports' centre, surgery, supermarkets, library, good cafes in walking distance, good cycling, little through traffic, near enough to Newcastle- so all boxes ticked.

Only problem is one set in Sheffield and the other in Abingdon, so any suggestions for a similar village to what we have now, roughly halfway, would be much appreciated!:smile:

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Met Mrs A_T at Dundee Uni, she got a job first in Newcastle. I followed 2 years later, married, children- still in the same house 30 years later. It was 90 miles to both sets of parents so they were no help and then they all moved to us after the children left for university!

Our first grandchild is due in a month so once she's settled in we'll be moving near to them while we're useful!

Village has a sports' centre, surgery, supermarkets, library, good cafes in walking distance, good cycling, little through traffic, near enough to Newcastle- so all boxes ticked.

Only problem is one set in Sheffield and the other in Abingdon, so any suggestions for a similar village to what we have now, roughly halfway, would be much appreciated!:smile:
How about Poshshire? ½ way twixt Abingdon & Sheffield..
@Drago lives there, you know 😎

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
How about Poshshire? ½ way twixt Abingdon & Sheffield..
@Drago lives there, you know 😎
I might be able to just about afford a hovel, or at a push a hut with a 'night closet'.

[Edit: I could ask Drago if he'll sell his at a suitably reduced mates rate, I appreciate that the 'night closet' wouldn't be then be included... so he can move to a time share shepherd's hut on Aldernay].

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I grew up the child of a serviceman so moved around a lot; I had been to 7 pre-schools/schools by the time I was 11. By design or chance my dad's final posting was back to the very first place I ever lived and so I grew up through most of my childhood in West Oxfordshire. After a stint at uni I went home again and found myself a job working where my dad worked, in south Oxfordshire. There I met and eventually married a colleague from Reading - we lived in Reading for a while and then settled in a Vale of White Horse village that gave us decent access to the school our kids ended up at, along with a nice rural location for quality of life.

So, the primary reason we are where we are is for school; the reason we are specifically where we are is because it's nice and we found a doer-upper house to renovate and live in.

gbb

Legendary Member
Joined the RAF in 1974 to get away from home and learn something. After training, first posting was Oakington, near Cambridge, ie not far from home ine Essex. When Oakington was closed to become an Army camp, I got free choice of posting, and chose the furthest I could get from Essex that wasn't heading north, and went to RAF ST Mawgan, near Newquay in Cornwall. After some odd moves around the area, we're in Tavistock, but depite all its touristyness, Newquay is where we need to be.
<Gibbs> Workin' on it...</Gibbs>
While definately not trying to pee on your parade, I was born in Cornwall and love it when I visit....wewent to Newquay once on a day trip. It gave me a headache, the most frustrating place I've ever been for driving and trying to get parked , (not including Cairo mind). It must be a mare for the locals.
But lovely, yes.

met a girl from a town 40miles from my home town so had to move to live with her
broke my heart leaving my home town , but at least it's just an hours drive back to visit

Drago

Legendary Member
I might be able to just about afford a hovel, or at a push a hut with a 'night closet'.

[Edit: I could ask Drago if he'll sell his at a suitably reduced mates rate, I appreciate that the 'night closet' wouldn't be then be included... so he can move to a time share shepherd's hut on Aldernay].
To be fair, rural poshshire isnt too bad for prices. Move i to Northampton town or, even worse, MK and prices sky rocket, but the villages aren't so pricy. That said, the maket is a bit distorted at the moment and its rutal areas getting the price spanking.

Objectively rutal poshshire is alright. Farms, fields, country roads minor enough to leave us cut off upin heavy rain or snow, the forst, low crime, yet with easy access to the M1 and A5, wolverton railway station a comfortable cycle ride away...its the nice bits of rural life, but with the trappings of civilisation easily accessible if one should desire it.

But as nice as it is it leqves me cold. I'm not local (which doesn't bother the locals, who are quite accepting, but it somehow narks me), I have no history here, no connection, no affinity with the place. As pleasant as it is I feel a bit tetchy and restless. I'm an island boy at heart and mere rural isnt simply good enough - full on bleak isolation is where I am happiest. Of course, as wonferful as Mrs D is thats a bit much for her to manage for anything longer than a holiday, so weve plumped for the Scillies or possibly Aldernay when she retires. I get my island living near the sea and and sense of close-knit island community, she gets reasonable weather and access to amentities. Everyone is happy.

In the meantime I have to rough it in this pleasant, small, low crime village, with some superb walks and cycling and an excellent private members club that serves me cheap Guinness seemingly regarsless if the hour. It's a hard life.

The only real hassle is @PeteXXX occasionally riding i to the vilkage with his flick knife and cutting up rough. Last time he robbed me of my wallet, said he'd carve up my beautiful face and the ladies would no longer like me if I didn't hand it over. Fortunately, all it contained was a library card, 11 pence cash, and that nudey picture of young Penelope Keith that is now rsther grubby with age and, er, wear.

Top Bottom