Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
SWMBO moved jobs with The Gas from Pleghm to Croydon. Gas Manager rules meant she had to live no more than 40 minutes from work. Friends lived in Wimbledon, so we made a fully funded Company Move seven miles across London from Acton. Complete with very generous furnishing allowance. The Gas bought our old house from us at a good market rate.

Milzy

Guru
Moved 10 miles out of the city but it gave me more for my money & a lot of quiet roads to cycle on.
People think I’m in the middle of nowhere but it’s not true. Semi rural places offer a lot of happy living.

gbb

Legendary Member
I come from a nomadic services family, dont really have any roots. Spent my best and formative years in Notts, a place I always felt was home in. But marriage and responsibilities meant needing a council house (this was long before the advent of private lets) and the waiting list was long in Notts. Dad had just left the services and moved to Pboro...a land of so many houses, they gave you 3 sets of keys and if you didnt like any...come back and we'll give you some more...seriously, that's the way it worked. Plenty of industry and jobs here as well...much if that has gone now sadly.
Took me 20 years to kind of accept I'd never go back to Notts, once you have kids, it's not fair to uproot them, it's what happened to me all my life (for the best of reasons of course, but it impacts you)

D_97_goodtimes

SWMBO moved jobs with The Gas from Pleghm to Croydon. Gas Manager rules meant she had to live no more than 40 minutes from work. Friends lived in Wimbledon, so we made a fully funded Company Move seven miles across London from Acton. Complete with very generous furnishing allowance. The Gas bought our old house from us at a good market rate.
I live where I live because:-

a - I haven’t the money to live where I would like to live
b - It is much too expensive to sell up and move
c - just where would I put my bikes

Where would you like to live and why?

pjd57

Veteran
I live in Glasgow .
I was born here and never really considered leaving.

I bounced around the UK while growing up, from Bristol to Weardale, to Hartlepool, to south Manchester, Walsall, then Taunton, then at age 21 rather impractically fell in love with a cute Japanese girl.

The Japanese and UK government seemed to be having a competition to see who could be most unfriendly to foreigners*, but I'd always loved German lessons even though I'm "not a born linguist" (quote from one of my German teachers). I found a job in youthwork in Germany that fulfilled the much less onerous requirements to be able to live here permanently. Under the regulations the third country spouse of an EU citizen is considered an EU citizen for visa puropses. The opportunities for us and our kids were good, so we stayed.

All the moves after that have been facilitated by contacts originating from that first job: a colleague introduced me to the organisation I worked with in Stuttgart, then one of the young people there was the son of my trainer/employer for my cabinet makers apprenticeship; even now my apartment belongs to relatives of another member of that group.

Now I'm near Freiburg in the Beautiful Breisgau region of Germany because of work, on the edge of the Rhine valley, with the Black Forest about 3 km east, and hundreds of kilometres of traffic free cycling routes. It looks likely the family will come after Younger Son has finished high school exams next year.

* The "Open immigration policy" is, and always was, a tabloid fiction.

Last edited:

D_97_goodtimes

I live where I live because:-

a - I haven’t the money to live where I would like to live
b - It is much too expensive to sell up and move
c - just where would I put my bikes

Where would you like to live and why?
To respond to my own question

Yorktown seems a fair and equal place to live.

Just this side of the nebula.

Joined the RAF in 1974 to get away from home and learn something. After training, first posting was Oakington, near Cambridge, ie not far from home ine Essex. When Oakington was closed to become an Army camp, I got free choice of posting, and chose the furthest I could get from Essex that wasn't heading north, and went to RAF ST Mawgan, near Newquay in Cornwall. After some odd moves around the area, we're in Tavistock, but depite all its touristyness, Newquay is where we need to be.
<Gibbs> Workin' on it...</Gibbs>

Top Bottom