Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
The UK got too busy, too noisy and was becoming increasingly angrier. I decided to bury my head in the middle of nowhere.

Good choice.

I just got the hell out of the way, not necessarily anywhere quieter though but Northern Hong Kong does have plenty of quiet nature spots a decent cycle ride away.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I left home (North East Kent) when I went to University and never really returned as I had found the wider world. After Uni I worked in London for about 18 month until things got very serious with my girlfriend and I moved up to be with her in Coventry. A few years later we escaped to Warwick and have absolutely no intention of ever leaving.

Edit~:~ Just to add, I did spend some years working around the world in the Netherlands, USA and South Africa - but pretty much only a year at a time.

Last edited:
When younger I chose where to live based on work, but nowadays family contacts would play a bigger part.

I love being on the coast in Cardiff but with access to hills and mountains about half an hour away. Many places could fit these criteria but I am afraid that it would absolutely rule out much of South and East England plus virtually all of the Midlands.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Born in the next town over and lived with folks until we bought our first house. Couldn't afford home town to moved to the other side of the tracks (away from the Ali G massive). Move twice but never more than 1/4 mile down the road. Stay here now as work is within easy cycling distance, likewise good school and college for kids. Once they are out of full time education we're off to somewhere else, as yet undecided.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Similar to @Hacienda71. Born and bred in South Manchester, although to the East. Right on the doorstep of the Peaks, great road and MTB riding from the door - only have two minutes ride and I can be off road. Work just outside Manchester. Love the city for a night out or a walk round - loads to see. Easy 20 minutes on the train home from a night out.

We do spend a lot of time in North Wales though, as both sets of parent's had static vans, and we 'took over' the in-laws van (about 6 years ago)

Live about a mile from my parents and in-laws. All the family still live within Stockport boundary.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was born into 1950s Middlesbrough, practically anywhere else would have been an improvement. As I worked in and around Durham for 25 years I ended up in a small village a handy commute to work. Durham, City and County, is a beautiful place, next door to God's Own County of Yorkshire and a jaunt over the Pennines to the lake district and Northumberland is lovely too, so here I am.
After leaving Middlesbrough at 18 I swore that I'd never live in a large conurbation again. That still sticks now, at 70. While I love visiting Paris, I'd not live there, great to visit, too big and too full of people to suit me full time.

Similar to @Hacienda71. Born and bred in South Manchester, although to the East. Right on the doorstep of the Peaks, great road and MTB riding from the door - only have two minutes ride and I can be off road. Work just outside Manchester. Love the city for a night out or a walk round - loads to see. Easy 20 minutes on the train home from a night out.

We do spend a lot of time in North Wales though, as both sets of parent's had static vans, and we 'took over' the in-laws van (about 6 years ago)

Live about a mile from my parents and in-laws. All the family still live within Stockport boundary.

Raised in the same area, moved away with a job opportunity and then you tend to get stuck once the children get into the school system where ever you are.

So job really and now stuck here forever:laugh:

PS: the cycling ain't too bad either, the roads are a bit too smooth and without pot hole features though, i miss that from the UK:whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Raised in the same area, moved away with a job opportunity and then you tend to get stuck once the children get into the school system where ever you are.

So job really and now stuck here forever:laugh:

PS: the cycling ain't too bad either, the roads are a bit too smooth and without pot hole features though, i miss that from the UK:whistle:

No you don't miss it. :laugh:

Top Bottom