Why do you Upgrade?

What are your Reasons for Upgrading Bike and/or Components?

• I Upgrade Solely for Performance Gains

• I Upgrade Just Because I Can/Want

• I Upgrade for Style Purposes Only

• I Upgrade for Style Purposes and Believe There is a Performance Gain Too (However Marginal)

• I Upgrade for Any of the Above Reasons,

• I Upgrade for Better Build Quality

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Balancing true opinions from actual experience against opinions based on science for different products but of similar nature can sometimes be tricky.
That sentence is insane.

Citius

You'll get actual experience of products on here, but you'll also get the generalised science on that type of component. Balancing true opinions from actual experience against opinions based on science for different products but of similar nature can sometimes be tricky. :smile:

Almost as tricky as composing a coherent reply...

winjim

Smash the cistern
You'll get actual experience of products on here, but you'll also get the generalised science on that type of component. Balancing true opinions from actual experience against opinions based on science for different products but of similar nature can sometimes be tricky. :smile:
I think maybe you misunderstand how science works. It is true that scientific theory needs to be backed up by experiment, and that what works in the lab does not always translate well to a real world situation and you then need to revise your theory. However, repeated iterations of this process have got us to a point where the classical physics which governs bicycles has pretty much moved from abstract scientific concept, to sound engineering principle.

Personal opinion can of course be useful when making equipment choices, especially from someone who has experience of the equipment in question, but it is very subjective and subject to all sorts of biases. You're right that choosing a balance can be tricky. I guess the way to do it would be to collate people's opinions, and then perform some sort of test to see how accurate their perceptions are. I think that in the case of bicycle components, sometimes the gains are so marginal that having the psychological benefit of shiny new kit may trump any actual physical advantage. (But I haven't tested that assumption :tongue:)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just put some nice new tyres on the synapse disc - looking forward to the huge performance gains on the lighter, better rubber :okay:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
popcorn.jpg

Top Bottom