Why do you Upgrade?

What are your Reasons for Upgrading Bike and/or Components?

• I Upgrade Solely for Performance Gains

• I Upgrade Just Because I Can/Want

• I Upgrade for Style Purposes Only

• I Upgrade for Style Purposes and Believe There is a Performance Gain Too (However Marginal)

• I Upgrade for Any of the Above Reasons,

• I Upgrade for Better Build Quality

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Damn thing won't let me vote godamit!
PERFORMANCE, PERFORMANCE,
PERFORMANCE,
(And a little bit of style eg bar tape colour)
Oh the irony.
If only I'd thought about this a bit more before I bought a £400 bike from Argos I would have probably bought something a little bit more errrrr.........performance based to start with.
Still, least it gives me multiple options to upgrade, :wahhey:

AndyRM

XOXO
Better build quality for me.

That wheel thread got over 200 responses, I wonder how long this one will last...

winjim

Smash the cistern
It depends what you mean by performance. Each of my bikes perform s well at a different task. I wouldn't upgrade one with an expensive groupset, and I wouldn't upgrade the other with mudguards and snow tyres. I'm in the process of upgrading by building a whole new bike; that's because I wanted something individual that I'd built myself.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I voted for all the options, just for fun. What happens if you replace a piece of worn out kit with an identical replacement? That's not really an 'upgrade' is it...
Not shocked there. :smile: (edit: that's a genuine smiley btw.)

Replacing like for like is not an upgrade, no, unless of course that the old component was so ridiculously worn out that it was hampering the rest of the bike?

Jayaly

No idea where I fit into that set of answers. I'm upgrading because my second hand ebay special has done well for getting me back on a bike but is elderly, falling to bits, isn't well suited to the use I'm putting it to and doesn't allow me to cycle in normal clothes without marking or eating my trousers, never mind skirts. Plus I'm tired of balancing on my fingers trying to sit more upright than the handlebars permit. Having commuted for a year and proved to myself that I'm in it for the long haul, I think I've earned myself the right to get something a bit more fit for purpose. I suppose you could consider that performance at a push, but I doubt I'll be going any faster on the new one.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
No idea where I fit into that set of answers. I'm upgrading because my second hand ebay special has done well for getting me back on a bike but is elderly, falling to bits, isn't well suited to the use I'm putting it to and doesn't allow me to cycle in normal clothes without marking or eating my trousers, never mind skirts. Plus I'm tired of balancing on my fingers trying to sit more upright than the handlebars permit. Having commuted for a year and proved to myself that I'm in it for the long haul, I think I've earned myself the right to get something a bit more fit for purpose. I suppose you could consider that performance at a push, but I doubt I'll be going any faster on the new one.
Of course you will! Be positive! ^_^

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
function over aesthetics, having a few quid more than last month with nothing better to spend it on, replacing worn out bits with a bit better than what has worn out.

Citius

Replacing like for like is not an upgrade, no, unless of course that the old component was so ridiculously worn out that it was hampering the rest of the bike?

So if we accept that a simple like-for-like replacement is 'not' an upgrade, then the reasons for upgrading are simple = people want to replace parts with new parts of either:

- higher quality
- lower weight
- better durability
- higher performance
- higher price tag (I put that one in for jowwy's benefit)

Higher quality is relatively easy to establish, as is lower weight and better durability. You might expect any upgrade to offer all of those three things. Higher price tag is also pretty straightforward to establish, but it is feasible that something could cost more than the part you are replacing but still be heavier, less durable and not perform as well. In other words, higher price tag is not, in itself any guarantee of upgrade.

The only point in there which remains contentious is 'higher performance'. So, to the three voters who voted for higher performance (my vote doesn't count) - how do you establish whether it has given you that?

Last edited:
TBH I spent a lot of time and money upgrading because I liked the buzz of buying...I've recently realised that for me its all a pile of crap...buying more isn't making me any better/faster/better equipped as I have what I need. I've put the credit card away for now...for now

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
So if we accept that a simple like-for-like replacement is 'not' an upgrade, then the reasons for upgrading are simple = people want to replace parts with new parts of either:

- higher quality
- lower weight
- better durability
- higher performance
- higher price tag (I put that one in for jowwy's benefit)

Higher quality is relatively easy to establish, as is lower weight and better durability. You might expect any upgrade to offer all of those three things. Higher price tag is also pretty straightforward to establish, but it is feasible that something could cost more than the part you are replacing but still be heavier, less durable and not perform as well. In other words, higher price tag is not, in itself any guarantee of upgrade.

The only point in there which remains contentious is 'higher performance'. So, to the three voters who voted for higher performance (my vote doesn't count) - how do you establish whether it has given you that?
That's Your reasons why You upgrade, but it's not all about you mind. :smile:

Performance gains are nigh on impossible to prove, as you know from recent discussions. Perceived performance gains are, in my opinion, actually equally as valid. I know you will disagree there, but I agree with other opinions on this one.

Personally, I would ideally like real world performance gains and honestly believe that I have experienced this. I have no proof, as cannot test in a perfect environment. If it turns out that I have worked harder since getting my new wheels or that I can't actually breathe better by being in a better climbing position from having my shorter stem, then I will accept them as only a perceived gain and enjoy the gain nonetheless.

Top Bottom