Why does my bike rattle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've had a Bianchi 1885 for about three years and it's well maintained and serviced regularly. There's one annoying problem on it though and that's that the handlebar area has a rattle and vibration and I'm mystified as to where it's coming from. Could it be the headset? The bearings have been replaced but over a year ago and having eliminated most other areas, I'm thinking it's possible the rattle/vibration thing is coming from there. any suggestions guys?

Will1985

Über Member
It's probably your ergos.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Will1985 said:

Yeah, it'll be your ego!

My Cannondale had a rattle a while back and I eventually worked out it was the brake cable - difficult finding what it was though tweaking various bike bits as you ride down the road!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Will1985 said:
I think you could well be right.

Paul - I've just looked at a picture of you that I took on one our rides and I can see that you have metal Campagnolo Ergo-shifters on your bike.

paulb_top_of_climb.jpg

I have the same type on my Basso and I have the same problem. There is supposed to be a little rubber pad on the inside of each brake lever to stop the inner gear-shift lever rattling against it. One of the pads on my ergolevers has fallen off and I now get a rattle every time I go over even a tiny bump in the road. I'd forgotten about what was causing it until I read this thread. I've been looking at my GPS, bottle cages, everything except the ergolevers - d'oh!

jpembroke

My ergos used to rattle inside - very frustrating. Then I sprayed some GT85 in to them and they've never done it since. That was about 4 years ago!

A mate has the the old 'rubber nipple missing from behind brake lever' issue and his ergos used to clack together. He solved this by wrapping a bit of insulation tape around the lever. Works but looks a bit sh*t!

Having said all that, would a dodgy ergo cause the bars to vibrate? Still sounds like a headset issue to me. Assume you have checked for headset play by applying front brake and rocking the bike?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:

Paul - I've just looked at a picture of you that I took on one our rides and I can see that you have metal Campagnolo Ergo-shifters on your bike.

Yes, but it's not that bike! It's my Shimano 1885 that rattles and one in the picture is my Via Nirone with Campag and that one's fine.

Interesting that people reckon it's the shifters. I've just changed the bearings and I'm hoping to get out on it this avvy and see if that's done the trick. If not, the process of elimination will go on go on go on.

bumsteer

It's probably your cables rattling against the headtube. Rubber tube tops (eg. Jagwire or Bontrager) should deal with this. These should be mounted over the cable at the spot where the cable rests against the headtube. Ideally this should be done when the cable is fitted but you can retro-fit them by splitting one wall of the tube with a scalpel and popping it over the cable.

Having done this you may find you have a slight squeaking proplem when you turn the bars. This is just the rubber rubbing against the headtube and no, you don't have to dismantle your headset. It's a minor price to pay for relief from that bloody rattling.

Bianchis do seem prone to this, especially with Shimano cabling. Oh...let's not go there...

dodgy

Spray your cables with pledge if they squeak (seriously - it works).

redjedi

Über Member
bumsteer said:
It's probably your cables rattling against the headtube. Rubber tube tops (eg. Jagwire or Bontrager) should deal with this. These should be mounted over the cable at the spot where the cable rests against the headtube. Ideally this should be done when the cable is fitted but you can retro-fit them by splitting one wall of the tube with a scalpel and popping it over the cable.

Having done this you may find you have a slight squeaking proplem when you turn the bars. This is just the rubber rubbing against the headtube and no, you don't have to dismantle your headset. It's a minor price to pay for relief from that bloody rattling.

Bianchis do seem prone to this, especially with Shimano cabling. Oh...let's not go there...

Why are Bianchis more prone to this than others?

bumsteer

redjedi said:
Why are Bianchis more prone to this than others?

1) 'cos they don't have cable supports on the head tube

2) 'cos most factory specced Bianchis use Campag cables which have a softer casing than the Shimano

3) 'cos you should never put japanese components on a true italian thoroughbred unless you are an uncouth chav like me :blush:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
ColinJ said:

paulb_top_of_climb.jpg

I have the same type on my Basso and I have the same problem. There is supposed to be a little rubber pad on the inside of each brake lever to stop the inner gear-shift lever rattling against it. One of the pads on my ergolevers has fallen off and I now get a rattle every time I go over even a tiny bump in the road. I'd forgotten about what was causing it until I read this thread. I've been looking at my GPS, bottle cages, everything except the ergolevers - d'oh!

Is that the A640? before you drop onto denshaw?

Top Bottom