Why don’t pro’s use stabilisers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You could also argue that the apostrophe indicates that the /o/ is a long vowel and therefore not pronounced prozz. However, correctness is laid down by custom not logic, and English spelling and punctuation are hellholes that few people emerge from unharmed.

Agreed.

For what it's worth, the fashion for slapping an apostrophe on nouns to denote a plural is, I suspect, American.

While the English language still dominates the internet, much of that text is American English.

Another way to express your point is the phrase 'it is a living language'.

Thus if the majority of users write the plural of area as area's, that will become the adopted, dare I say, correct use in time as new users copy what's already there.

Apart from the diehards such as me who will never accept it.

Reactions: C R

Alan O

Über Member
fo'c's'le for forecastle takes some beating. Four letters and three apostrophes.
Yes, and you could extend it to something like "He stands atop the fo'c's'le's stairs" for four apostrophes.

lane

Veteran
Never mind just for the pros - they would be an excellent safety feature for all cyclists and I urge the Government to consider legislation to make them compulsory along with other excellent safety aids such as Hi Viz and ******s

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why can't the Apostrophe Police start a new thread if they want to discuss apostrophes and ignore the topic in the thread title?:angry:
I think you should have put a comma after apostrophes and broken the sentence up a bit.

Top Bottom