why dont cyclists report dangerous drivers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
another dangerous driver cut in front of me after blowing his horn and shouting abuse yes there was a cycle lane and i will not use it as i do not consider it safe, i have the feeling he does not like cyclists as i was cycling close to the left and very little other traffic about.

when i arrived home a friend asked me why i did not take the drivers number plate and report his dangerous driving?

question does any one report drivers that are a hazard and clearly should not be allowed to drive in such a manner/manure way, also is it worth wile or just put such things down to another of cyclings little upsets as per usual.

MiK1138

Veteran
for the same reason Motorists dont report dangerous cyclists there are just to many of both

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Get a camera and report it. I have done this just once in the two years I have had it. I tend to ignore a lot of incidents otherwise I becomes a full time job.

Reactions: mjr

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I have, twice in the past. Once when I was threatened with violence for daring to be in front of a motorist going down a hill who then overtook me into oncoming traffic and once when a motorist drove his car at me for no reason at all, then shouted at me.

I couldn't report all the dangerous drivers, but I make sure I report any that put my life in danger.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a camera and report it. I have done this just once in the two years I have had it. I tend to ignore a lot of incidents otherwise I becomes a full time job.
^^ This. I've also no evidence that any report I've made has ever resulted in any action against the motorist, so it seems like a worthless task. I still do it, but more out of hope than anything.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Image-83.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
I've reported three drivers to the police in 20 years for executing overtaking manoeuvres which I considered to have endangered my life. On each occasion I had a call back to say they had communicated with the driver. In two of the incidents the police added further detail which I had not initially disclosed, this could only have come from the driver.
There was no actual contact between vehicle and bike or myself so I didn't expect any legal action against the driver. I was satisfied to hear that they had been spoken to and can only hope they'll take more care in future.

subaqua

What’s the point
another dangerous driver cut in front of me after blowing his horn and shouting abuse yes there was a cycle lane and i will not use it as i do not consider it safe, i have the feeling he does not like cyclists as i was cycling close to the left and very little other traffic about.

when i arrived home a friend asked me why i did not take the drivers number plate and report his dangerous driving?

question does any one report drivers that are a hazard and clearly should not be allowed to drive in such a manner/manure way, also is it worth wile or just put such things down to another of cyclings little upsets as per usual.

because even when we get injured we get no sympathy from plod. and they cant be bothered to invetigate properly.

basic things like , why was he overtaking so close to a junction where people would be turning right, why was he overtaking on diagonal hatchings with a dashed edge when he shouldn't be . Why was he so close that even if a cyclist did lose control they woudl be hit.
lazy woodentopping.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
thanks ever one who replied, as abikecam says about a driver who puts his life in danger maybe it should have been reported even if as milk floats picture shows it may just be a wast of time.
%99.99 of the time i just take no notice or dont let it get to me but this morning the driver really got to me with his aggression i am very thankful that he did not stop i may well have acted completely out of character and know full well theres 2 losers in every confrontation and knowing my luck if i had done some thing i would now be facing some time with police, solicitors, court, a big legal bill, perhaps a criminal record and my name in the local paper.
lol markymark glad you can see the funny side normally i do and just think i am lucky not to live beside the likes of the driver.
thanks again everyone and hope no one else has any close encounters with fast moving lumps of metal not controlled by ai (artificial intelligence) but by ab (aggressive behaviour).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One of the reasons I've given up commuting on a bike. Having suffered a very serious injury, it's just not worth the risk in traffic. The times I've been hit have been during rush hour as folk just take too many gambles. They can't even see cars and trucks. It's no better in the car !!

Brandane

Legendary Member
why was he overtaking on diagonal hatchings with a dashed edge when he shouldn't be .
That depends on interpretation of "unless it is necessary" (As a driver, I wouldn't have a problem entering the hatched area to overtake a cyclist - as long as the second part is complied with; "you can see that it is safe to do so"; which would obviously mean there is no-one turning right).
According to the Highway Code, rule 130:

Rule 130
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

• If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
  • If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of the reasons I've given up commuting on a bike. Having suffered a very serious injury, it's just not worth the risk in traffic. The times I've been hit have been during rush hour as folk just take too many gambles. They can't even see cars and trucks. It's no better in the car !!
But I think that's a local problem, a mix of dick driving, busy roads and bad layouts. Probably not the only place it happens, but I've few qualms riding in most places in rush hour. That said, there's one point in Lynn where I cross an A road to "salmon" up a cycle track on the right that I don't always bother with off-peak - instead, I merge back onto the left lane of a three-lane for the 600m gap in the cycle track on the left.

That depends on interpretation of "unless it is necessary" (As a driver, I wouldn't have a problem entering the hatched area to overtake a cyclist - as long as the second part is complied with; "you can see that it is safe to do so"; which would obviously mean there is no-one turning right). [...]
A turn-right protection is a bit different. I hate cycling on roads where they've painted wide hatched areas in the middle instead of wide shoulders at the sides because so many motorists are scared to enter the centre hatching to overtake but we've no shoulder to escape onto. I feel it would often be better if they allocated all the wide shoulder space to one side and bollarded it off... but some disagree vehemently, as in this CTC discussion.

Top Bottom