Why don't we put the clocks forward this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Summer time was introduced in 1916, by act of parliament, before then the country worked on GMT (the time we are now on) all year.

The introduction was due to a campaign by William Willett, an Englishman, at the time it had nothing to do with Scottish farmers or farming in general. I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that it was a personal thing, as he found getting up in the morning difficult and complained about the sun shine in his bed room early in the morning. He’d been campaigning for summer time introduction since around the mid 1900’s and had entered a couple of bills in parliament; the first of which was to change by 80 minutes in spring and autumn in 4 20 minute steps.

I thought the trial in the 70’s reduced accidents, as there has been a campaign for a number of years to switch to CET for the UK, one hour advanced from the times now used in both summer and winter. It has been suggested that the accident rate would go down, as you’re more awake in the morning and the darkness would not make much difference and when you’re tired at the end of the day it being lighter aiding your concentration.

peanut

Patrick Stevens said:
We put the clocks back at the end of October, two months before the shortest day on 21st December, yet we wait (and it's a long wait) three months after the shortest day, to put the clocks forward. I for one could do with an extra hour of daylight in the evening at this time of year.

Why don't we do it?

ok I will if you will:thumbsup:

i was under the impression it was to do with kids walking to school and back again would be doing so in daylight and so its a bit safer for them.

peanut

ChrisKH said:
Nothing stopping Scotland doing that.

What relevance, unless you live on a farm, does this have these days?

exactly !... and where do Farmers have to go in the mornings that require them to be on time anyway ? hardly the office is it ;) They work in the dark these days anyway. Most tractors I see have more bloody lights than Crystal palace. Reckon you could see Farmer Mick cutting his hay at night time from outer space

jay clock

Massive member
Every other country in the world seems to cope without having to move their time, it's idiotic.
and in addition to all the ones listed above, add Mexico, Canada, the USA, Russia, Brazil, much of Australia....

Fiona N

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
Exactly. When it was brought in something like 80% of the work done in this country was on farms. These days it's an irrelevance.

Every other country in the world seems to cope without having to move their time, it's idiotic.

Oddly all the rest of Europe change to summertime too :biggrin: Not sure about elsewhere. I can't remember it happening in Australia but that could be a faulty memory ;)

Oops should have read the rest of the posts before posting ...

Top Bottom