Why don't we put the clocks forward this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We put the clocks back at the end of October, two months before the shortest day on 21st December, yet we wait (and it's a long wait) three months after the shortest day, to put the clocks forward. I for one could do with an extra hour of daylight in the evening at this time of year.

Why don't we do it?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
go the other way, exsiting Summertime reamins through Winter but put clocks forward for Summertime going forward. More light in the evenings when most people have their leisure time.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
can't wait for the clocks to change, will be able to get out on my bike after work again (it's been a long wait)

Mr Pig

colly said:
More to the point why do we bother altering the clocks in the first place.

Exactly. When it was brought in something like 80% of the work done in this country was on farms. These days it's an irrelevance.

Every other country in the world seems to cope without having to move their time, it's idiotic.

colly

Re member eR
Apparently they stopped it in the 70s for a bit or summat. Accidents went up.

I suppose thats the excuse used, so we have to move the clocks about just to save people from themselves.

A better and more effective way to reduce accidents ......have the time change a ''little bit'' every day so that dawn ALWAYS happens at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a Quango working on this it. :rolleyes:

I have heard the stuff about the Scottish farmers but really can't make out what thats about.
I mean the sodding cows don't know what the f****** time is.

NickM

Veteran
Why shouldn't Scotland have its own different time zone, if it suits the people who live there better?

Conversely, why on earth should the south of England have to use a clock time chosen to be acceptable the Scots?

ChrisKH

Guru
User1314 said:
Scottish Farmers wanting extra daylight in the Winter mornings, I thought.

Nothing stopping Scotland doing that.

What relevance, unless you live on a farm, does this have these days?

Mr Pig

NickM said:
Why shouldn't Scotland have its own different time zone, if it suits the people who live there better?

Why can't the farmers just get up at 6am instead of 7? I've never understood why everyone has to get messed around because of them. Barmy country.

woohoo

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
Exactly. When it was brought in something like 80% of the work done in this country was on farms. These days it's an irrelevance.

Every other country in the world seems to cope without having to move their time, it's idiotic.

Apart from:

Albania, regularly since 1974
Andorra, regularly since 1985
Austria, regularly since 1980
Belgium, regularly since 1980
Bosnia and Herzegovina, regularly since 1983
Croatia, regularly since 1983
Czech Republic, regularly since 1979
Denmark (metropolitan), regularly since 1980
France (metropolitan), regularly since 1976
Germany, regularly since 1980
Gibraltar, regularly since 1982
Hungary, regularly since 1980
Italy, regularly since 1966
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg, regularly since 1977
Malta, regularly since 1974
Monaco, regularly since 1976
Montenegro, regularly since 1983
Netherlands (metropolitan), regularly since 1977
Norway, regularly since 1980
Poland, regularly since 1977
Republic of Macedonia, regularly since 1983
San Marino, regularly since 1966
Serbia, regularly since 1983
Slovakia, regularly since 1979
Slovenia, regularly since 1983
Spain (except Canary Islands), regularly since 1974
Sweden, regularly since 1980
Switzerland, regularly since 1981
Tunisia, since 2005
Vatican, regularly since 1966

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Summer_Time

... and that's just in the CEST time zone!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The Scottish Farmers argument stretches a bit thin when you look at it. Some of them will lose a lot more time in the mornings if it went forward than in the evenings but it amounts to nothing like an hour. Infact the roughly east/west line along the terminator makes nearly as much of a difference so it's an irrelevence really. This does suggest under our flawed system that we are out changing the clocks in the spring by weeks.

Top Bottom