Why don't women cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How women that cycle step back and let the women who don't cycle answer the question?

[edit] TMN to almost everyone
As I just said, I was a woman that had never cycled and I am a woman thinking of giving it up. So I can speak.

And my plea was for men to listen. Which you clearly aren't bothering to do, as you didn't even "listen" to my post that is 10 minutes older than yours.

As always, the voices of women are being swamped by men's, and politely asking them to not do it makes them behave like spoiled infants.

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
Did you know that 75% of cyclists are male?

Cycling provides an opportunity to substitute the car for a healthier option. It doesn't require fuel, it contributes to an active healthy lifestyle, and saves reduces the huge air pollution problem in the UK.

I am trying to investigate why the gender imbalance exists in cycling in the UK, as in countries such as Germany and The Netherlands women cycle as much as men; furthermore, cycling is a popular mode of transport in these countries.

So what do you think are the main reasons behind this? Some contributing factors that have emerged in my research are;

• Harrasment (verbal abuse, funny looks, sexual harrasment)
  • Lack of confidence
  • Fear of traffic
  • Not wanting to break a sweat / potentially mess your hair etc
  • Distance
  • Weather
  • Lack of cycle lanes
  • Hills
  • Not knowing enough about bicycle maintence
  • Bikes are too expensive, not sure where to get a 2nd hand one
  • Time constraints

Would love to hear your views, please feel free to reply, the more detail the better!

Hopefully my research can contribute to achieving a gender parity in UK cycling!

Best wishes,

George
University of Manchester
I think we need more information on George and what Department of the University he is in; why he is doing this research and for what specific reason etc. Then, I at least, would be happier to answer his questions, and those of other "researchers". Just my opinion!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not a female specific issue though. The question we are trying to answer is what makes women cycle in fewer numbers than men.
As I understand it, the figures are more closely matched in places like Holland, Denmark and Germany where utilitarian cycling is a norm. Why are British women less likely to cycle than Dutch, Danish or German women?

As I understand it, the figures are more closely matched in places like Holland, Denmark and Germany where utilitarian cycling is a norm. Why are British women less likely to cycle than Dutch, Danish or German women?
I suspect the correlation is the other way around: people who cycle a lot tend not to have a car. I.E cycling leads to not buying a car rather than buying a car leads to not cycling.

Do you have a link to those figures? Do they apply to women only or both genders**? Utilitarian cycling isn't as common here, except commuting, so that would be a big difference between UK and mainland Europe.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In Denmark it's 47% women and 53% men, according to this.

edit... Germany's M/F cycling split is supposedly around 55% female and Holland's closer to 50/50, but that was just a chart with no mention of its source.

Last edited:
In Denmark it's 47% women and 53% men, according to this.

edit... Germany's M/F cycling split is supposedly around 55% female and Holland's closer to 50/50, but that was just a chart with no mention of its source.
I didn't understand what you were saying. I thought you meant there was a correlation between car ownership and cycling in women in Denmark et al.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And twice as many cars on the road are owned by men than women, so if that was a factor, it would affect men more than women.
I didn't know that! You learn something new every day, true.
Anyway, in a very unscientific way, I have been asking female work colleagues: today I got, from 2 twenty something fit lassies the answer "oh, I'm too lazy to cycle, I just drive my car".
Previous answers have been "can't ride a bike, scared of traffic, too far to cycle".
The "don't want to arrive at work sweaty" was given to me by three males ^_^

@glasgowcyclist I have experienced the harassment of the woman you quote, but I see men getting it too. WVMan does not discriminate.
Also, I have been shouted/beeped off the road by women drivers a few times.

I was talking about the abuse thing with a mixed group of riders, us women agreed that if we get aggro on a road used often, we change route, while the guys would insist on using that route/pinch point/roundabout to make their point.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I believe that fewer women cycle due not having the luxury of spare time, its something many women lose out on due to the expectations put on them by society, kids, cooking, cleaning, working etc. etc. etc. yet its a luxury that a lot of men believe is their god given right backed by societal dogma.
so maybe when men stop behaving and believing in a hierarchical society which allows dominance over women, maybe women can then afford the luxury of spare time and do many things including cycling.
Uhmm ...
What kind of cycling though?
Fair enough competitive or amateur club cycling, but why do most of my (much) younger than me, single, childless, colleagues that live nearer work than me, prefer to drive?
They would save a lot of money by cycling, young people's insurance being what it is.
Over maybe 250 female employees, only half a dozen cycle to work.

I believe that fewer women cycle due not having the luxury of spare time, its something many women lose out on due to the expectations put on them by society, kids, cooking, cleaning, working etc. etc. etc. yet its a luxury that a lot of men believe is their god given right backed by societal dogma.
so maybe when men stop behaving and believing in a hierarchical society which allows dominance over women, maybe women can then afford the luxury of spare time and do many things including cycling.
isn't part of the wonder of cycling that it can be integrated into life/daily activities?
Cycling isn't necessarily whizzing off for an entire day's glory sportif or whatever the things are called.
I write this as someone who has no interest in such things.

classic33

Leg End Member
Asked three relatives why they don't cycle.
One prefers walking, seldom uses public transport & doesn't drive. She's never cycled.

Her daughter, says its down to how cycling is perceived(Her wording). Didn't ask further.
She used to cycle, but no longer does so.

Third one, would only choose to cycle on fine days, short trips. She does drive, often took the bike rather than the car.
She's stopped cycling due to verbal abuse. She also cycled rural & country roads.

classic33

Leg End Member
Uhmm ...
What kind of cycling though?
Fair enough competitive or amateur club cycling, but why do most of my (much) younger than me, single, childless, colleagues that live nearer work than me, prefer to drive?
They would save a lot of money by cycling, young people's insurance being what it is.
Over maybe 250 female employees, only half a dozen cycle to work.
That last part could also apply to males.
In a building where 2,000 people worked, there were fewer than four dozen bikes on site.

its hard to integrated something into your life, when life itself leaves you very little time, so yes it would be great for some to cycle to the shop or to a friends or wherever and make cycling part of their life but that for many would mean leaving the kids alone, or doing all the other things expected by society that women should do before even considering doing something for themselves.
mm

I think you have a very particular view of contemporary society.

And relationships.

For whatever reason.

You seem to portay a picture of women chained to a stove with crying children tugging at their long skirts.

These women of yours - do they ever get out of the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom