Why don't women cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
mm

I think you have a very particular view of contemporary society.

And relationships.

For whatever reason.

You seem to portay a picture of women chained to a stove with crying children tugging at their long skirts.

These women of yours - do they ever get out of the house?
The de facto situation is that women still do the vast majority of childcare and domestic labour, earn less, and spend less of their money on themselves.

Julia9054

Guru
I cycled everywhere before children. Not for leisure but for transport and because i learned to drive late. After children, i walked and took the bus. The sort of equipment needed to transport kids by bike wasn't readily available and i would not have felt safe with child seat or trailer. I still had to work so wanted to spend weekend time with my kids rather than go off cycling. (Tbf, my husband didn't go off either as he felt the same) I started cycling again for fun and then for transport once they were old enough to leave for a few hours.
It's not about living in some version of the 1950s - i guess if i had had the luxury of being a stay at home mum, a few hours off on a sunday morning might have been fun.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No, we have this wonderful thing called google and it can be your friend, give it a go.
Women don't have the time to cycle because they can't leave their childish men home alone :whistle:
Only kidding, but, really, it is a CC courtesy to answer another member's question.
Now it's two members asking!

Julia9054

Guru
These women of yours - do they ever get out of the house?
Of course they do but generally with the children in tow. I certainly don't remember getting out of the house much without them and whilst a little family trip on bikes/ trailer/tag along might have been fun, trying to shop and do the school run is not conducive to cycling (kudos to those who manage it)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
its hard to integrated something into your life, when life itself leaves you very little time, so yes it would be great for some to cycle to the shop or to a friends or wherever and make cycling part of their life but that for many would mean leaving the kids alone, or doing all the other things expected by society that women should do before even considering doing something for themselves.
The Dutch manage.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5275345, member: 9609"]why does anyone care? I mean why does it matter if one gender cycles more than another. These threads always fascinate me as its stuff that I thought nobody would ever consider or really care about but obviously some of you are very passionate about it, why does it matter.
Its a bit like very few men ride about on horses and getting all concerned about that, it makes no sense. different people like to do different things.[/QUOTE]
Sigh.
We've been through this many times before. As a society, it is better for health, traffic congestion and the environment if more people cycle. If we are going to get more people cycling, it is worth looking at why certain groups of people don't cycle. It is not the same as horse riding, swimming, Zumba classes etc

Pat "5mph"

You seem to have overlooked @theclaud’s post, which followed the post from @User and blue hill’s response to it, and was fairly clear.

I’m really not sure why people are struggling to understand what was being said.
@theclaud I did understand perfectly, the following post I must admit I did not get.
Never mind, was probably not important.
@Julia9054 when you have kids to tow around, and shopping, I agree a car is more convenient than a bike, specially because we don't have enough safe infrastructure for family riding.
There is a family in my area all on bikes.
The Mum does the school run on my same commute stretch on an electric assist cargo bike, while the Dad commutes to his work on his own bike, well, naturally :laugh:
They have two boys, for the last couple of years the oldest rides his own bike along the cargo bike.
I must ask them what they did when we had the ice and snow.
There is a financial aspect too: that cargo bike costs probably as much as a small car.

[QUOTE 5274718, member: 43827"]I despair of this forum sometimes.

A student asks for help and most of the thread consists of either thinly veiled criticism of his process, criticism of the right/ability of other members to comment or the usual resorting to commentary on sexist attitudes.

Admittedly some have had the grace to supply helpful information, but I reckon George hasn't come back because he is busy changing his research to something simple like the meaning of life or, more sensibly, has gone to the Student Union for a couple of beers.[/QUOTE]
By all appearances, George has not been here since the moment he posted his question. Yeah, maybe he came back without logging in, and left in horror because we hadn't written his thesis for him. My theory is he hasn't been back yet, but will be in a day or two to see if we have completed his thesis yet. I don't hold out much hope for another post from him, despite my and others efforts to answer his question.

Pat "5mph"

[QUOTE 5275369, member: 9609"]they're all healthy things to do too, are there people in those groups who worry about men not taking part.. (I'm guess from your inclusion not many men bother swimming or zumbering? )[/QUOTE]
Healthy for humans, but not for the environment if everybody drives to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom