Why have a winter bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
In a round about way its not really a winter or summer bike. Its more a wet/dry bike, when it rains you take the bike that has guards etc, when its dry you take the lightweight strippee down dry bike
Win win

^^This^^

400bhp

Guru
I use my virtuoso for all year commuting as its less desirable than many of the bling in the bike sheds and better locked so i reckon its less likely to be stolen.It also runs 2300 drivetrain which is perfectly serviceable and is cheaper to replace than 10 speed etc and from what i have read tends to last a bit longer which is great as we know how the salt and muck eat drive trains over winter.
This means when i do jump on my nice bike it feels extra special as it is lighter to start with let alone the extra weight i lug about in my panniers all week.

^^And this^^

gbb

Legendary Member
I use my virtuoso for all year commuting as its less desirable than many of the bling in the bike sheds and better locked so i reckon its less likely to be stolen.It also runs 2300 drivetrain which is perfectly serviceable and is cheaper to replace than 10 speed etc and from what i have read tends to last a bit longer which is great as we know how the salt and muck eat drive trains over winter.
This means when i do jump on my nice bike it feels extra special as it is lighter to start with let alone the extra weight i lug about in my panniers all week.
Much of the above echos mjy feelings. I have (although i dont commute by bike anymore unfortunately)..a steelie with Sora 8 speed and mudguards.
8 speed is more durable and of course cheaper.
Steel may rust, but alloy corrodes and is more difficult to keep in good condition.
I used my Bianchi Via Nirone for one winter...not in foul weather either, and it started to furr up on any chips and worse still, corrosion ate between the carbon fork and the alloy steerer, lifting a layer of carbon.
My winter steelie saw 5 years or so of foul weather commuting, it endured wet and salt and occasional slush. The transmission got absolutely filthy almost daily in the worst weather and required daily cleaning.
Unlike the alloy Bianchi, I had to do very little to my steelie to keep corrosion at bay, barring a daily wash and wipe down.

If you seriously winter commute, I wouldnt dream of using my best bike. There's winter riding...and winter riding. Commuting is far heavier on a bike .

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I sold my winter bike and rode my best bike through two winters, next going to buy an even better bike and ride that through two winters:laugh:

Top Bottom