Why I am a to$$er of the highest order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That beer may be 11 years out of date

alicat

Legendary Member
This thread may as well serve a useful purpose now it has been resurrected.

I was a to$$er yesterday - on a train so no peds were harmed.

I was on the train from Euston on the last leg home after a long and rather trying week. The carriage had more than its share of noisy people who didn't seem to have been at work that week. Next to me was a bloke a bit older who was occupying more than half of the space available to us. He had a very hot arm and his shirt sleeve was tickly against my bare arm. Not enough to mention to him but I was glad to change at Nuneaton.

Then he abruptly said 'What stop is this?' Feeling less than charitable and with my goodwill all sapped out of me, I said 'My stop.' He carried on 'And what stop is that?' Even less charitably, I replied 'Je ne comprends pas.'

I departed with the balloons above everyone's heads saying 'And what's wrong with her?'

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I was using a busy but wide A-road, holding a strong primary position and 59km/h (36mph) descending the long hill. Five cars shouldered past me so close that I could have reached out and touched them. Then a van did the same but shouted at me to move over as he went past. Bearing in mind this road is subject to a 40mph limit, I was pretty close to it. I moved further out in the lane to protect myself from more idiots squeezing past against the oncoming flow of traffic. .

Why are you surprised at having several motor vehicles force their way past you if you're occupying a whole lane on a wide road? As far as they were concerned you were deliberately obstructing them. "strong primary position" is fine for short distances when approaching junctions or passing a parked vehicle or roadworks etc, but if you try to take control of a traffic lane for any considerable time/distance, drivers who don't want to do 36mph down a hill are going to quickly get very pissed off with you. All you achieved was to increase the danger to yourself by provoking other road users into close passes. If you'd kept further over to the left and not tried to monopolise the road, the other vehicles would have overtaken you anyway, but with more room and no aggro. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit either, if someone else wants to go over 40 that's up to them if they choose to break the law, it's not your job to try to baulk them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Why are you surprised at having several motor vehicles force their way past you if you're occupying a whole lane on a wide road? As far as they were concerned you were deliberately obstructing them. "strong primary position" is fine for short distances when approaching junctions or passing a parked vehicle or roadworks etc, but if you try to take control of a traffic lane for any considerable time/distance, drivers who don't want to do 36mph down a hill are going to quickly get very pissed off with you. All you achieved was to increase the danger to yourself by provoking other road users into close passes. If you'd kept further over to the left and not tried to monopolise the road, the other vehicles would have overtaken you anyway, but with more room and no aggro. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit either, if someone else wants to go over 40 that's up to them if they choose to break the law, it's not your job to try to baulk them.
fark em!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
If you'd kept further over to the left and not tried to monopolise the road, the other vehicles would have overtaken you anyway, but with more room and no aggro. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit either, if someone else wants to go over 40 that's up to them if they choose to break the law, it's not your job to try to baulk them.

This attitude is typical of the moronic behaviours and mindset that have resulted in the dangerous car-centric culture that perpetuates in our society and needlessly endangers millions of people on a daily basis.

When travelling at 36mph in a 40mph-limit two-lane road, strong primary is both the optimum and most appropriate, not to mention least unsafe, position to be in. Moving out even further to prevent further dangerous overtakes when there is oncoming traffic, as the OP did, was indeed the best course of action. Your arguing otherwise suggests society would be much better off if you i) surrender now any driving licence you have, and ii) stop preaching drivel about actions such as the OP's constituting 'monopolising' the road.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Ok who has created this alternative 'character' ? I've suspected it's a regular having a laugh for a good while but it's getting silly now.

Fess up !

classic33

Leg End Member
If I'm travelling at a similar speed to other vehicles on the road, I will, and have taken the lane to prevent anyone trying to pass me.

As speeds increase you want to keep any sudden movement to a minimum. Taking the left hand side of the road, the gutter, it puts me in a place that tends to collect a fair amount of debris that will have to be avoided.

My journey is just as important, my safety included, as their journey may be to them. Why should I put my safety into the hands of someone who simply wants to get past me?

Blues & Two's or Green light & Two's are the exception. For me at least.

Top Bottom