Why I hate RLJ, pavement cyclists etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nethalus

Cab said:
Yes, you did say that, and you went on to say all manner of other things in defense of the claim that cyclists get away with more... No one would disagree with the claim that an irresponsible cyclist gets us a bad name, that isn't a contentious claim, the claim you made that makes little sense was that cyclists are somehow less visible when they break the law.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Specific guidance for the police from the home secretary, guidance already quoted here, shows quite clearly that the cyclists reason for being on the pavement is of vital importance when a police officer decides whether or not to take action. Said guidance does not apply to cars; driving on to pavements to park there is illegal and can/should be punished accordingly, cycling on the pavement is usually illegal but should very often not be punished, thats the guidance to which the police are meant to operate. As you rightly state, the car on a pavement is far more dangerous than a bicycle (even one just parking); you are not comparing like with like.

As for getting nicked for driving on the pavement... Frankly, no, your chances of getting nicked for it are approaching zero in most places. Same for speeding, same for running red lights on a car. It just isn't the case that motorists breaking the law are more visible, in fact because there are less cyclists around it is usually the case that cyclists infringing are way more visible. Don't believe me? Go to the pub and mention cycling.

This isn't nit picking, its correcting you where you're factually incorrect.

What ever mate!

Cab

gambatte said:
If he starts demanding female cyclists stop the lycra and wear Burqas, there's gonna be trouble!!;)

Ain't going to happen. I should think that you've got very limited vision cycling in a burqa ;)

Cab

nethalus said:
What ever mate!

And there you go, you raised a set of points, I disagreed with them, you repeated them, I pointed out why I disagreed with them, and you're not interested in discussion.

Cab

BentMikey said:
Ahhh crap, you're a mod/admin so I can't even zarking ignore you.

You can ignore me, you just can't easily plonk me.

You'd be more irritated by other people replying to me anyway.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
driving on to pavements to park there is illegal and can/should be punished accordingly

I’ve actually been told by plod that so long as a car that is parked on the pavement,is not on a junction, or parked that far on the pavement that a buggy can’t get past, they won’t be ticketed.

Cab

gambatte said:
I’ve actually been told by plod that so long as a car that is parked on the pavement,is not on a junction, or parked that far on the pavement that a buggy can’t get past, they won’t be ticketed.

Yep, because technically being parked on the pavement isn't illegal. Driving on the pavement is illegal though. And while you can get into silly legal arguments about whether being parked on the pavement means that you've driven there, the reality is that Plod don't want to enforce the law that stops people driving on the pavement (and in many areas where councils are now meant to be policing parking I believe they have no power to), so they don't.

Its shameful, IMHO.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I’ve had this out many times with the local council. Local authorities have taken over as regards yellow lines etc. As regards the pavement parking the local authorities have no power. This is down to Plod to prosecute as obstruction.

As regards the yellows the police were looking into the possibility of informing the council that an offence had been committed and making themselves available as professional witnesses if refuted.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User said:
I'll try and find the more up to date version.

Be interesting if you can. Think I posted before that its the situation around the local school I'm trying to sort out. Last year it took a 2 year old being hospitalised to get them out. New intake of parents this year means similar problems

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
Tried taking it to the local papers, Gambatte?

Been there last year. New intake of parents with the new year, same problem.

Councillor mentioned it was going to be a special interest area with enforcement officers there twice a week......(anyone smell cattle?)

Might be time to start jumping on peoples emails again. Probably be better to have regulators document tho'

Starting to think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!!;):biggrin:

Cab

gambatte said:
Starting to think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!!;):biggrin:

I think that this is a way more worthwhile hobby horse than any that Victor Meldrew came up with ;)

Have you talked with your local beat bobbies/PCSO's about this? They may not be able to enforce it directly, but I'll wager that if they happen to be walking past at dropping off/picking up time once in a while it'll dissuade people from being quite so stupid. I'll be they'd be willing to politely advise parents dropping kids off.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
We did have a point late last year when the Police turned up and handed out £30 tickets, Then the council turned up and started handing out £60 tickets. Sorted it for a while.
Although there were plenty of arguments going off between the ticketers and ticketed, when the parents came out with their pride and joys.

Considering the vast majority of the kids live in the catchment area (<1mile radius) I heard comments like:
“Walk! that’s not what I passed my test for”
“The school should provide parking!” (?)

Now bearing in mind the school and road have been there for much longer than 5 year old ‘Johnny’ has even been alive, they knew the parking situation before they even applied for him to go there. Also assuming they have a licence (…?…) they should have glanced thro the highway code enough to know about parking restrictions.

Could be interesting doing a ‘name and shame’. One of the worst offenders is a school governer.

True to stereotype, the worst offenders drive large 4x4s, people carriers and Beemers

Cab

Its the kind of thing that a good 'community police officer' (I prefer the old term 'beat bobby') could do a lot to solve. Wouldn't have to hand out fines and do paperwork, but could prevent a lot of trouble by being seen and being talkative.

Top Bottom