Why is the turbo so uncomfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
If you think the turbo's bad, go for a run.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can happily ride for an hour plus out on the road but after about 30 mins on the turbo I start to get really uncomfortable

You lasted about 27 minutes longer than me on the turbo then. Kept it as a dust gatherer for a few months then sold it to a mate. A few weeks after that it was on e-bay!
The turbo experience made me realise that keeping fit is very far down the list of reasons why I cycle.

There is no airflow over you, without having a fan blasting away in front of you. It's skull crushingly boring, and the resistance is synthetic. If you want to get a slightly more natural feel, get some parabolic rollers. I only use the turbo for setting up a new bike, or if I'm recovering from an injury.

screenman

Legendary Member
Many of you lot know how to put people off buying a turbo, that is for sure.

Personally I find mine do a job and do it very well, in that they allow me to do specific sessions that I could not do on the road, hill climbing sessions are not easy in Lincolnshire.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
You lasted about 27 minutes longer than me on the turbo then. Kept it as a dust gatherer for a few months then sold it to a mate. A few weeks after that it was on e-bay!
The turbo experience made me realise that keeping fit is very far down the list of reasons why I cycle.

I'm guessing you bought a boring turbo, try a differet brand and model :whistle:

NorvernRob

Big tower fan blowing straight onto me, a film on Netflix nice and loud and an hours session on the turbo goes really quickly. Take away the fan and Netflix and I doubt I'd do it.

Irishrich

Über Member
I find you have to have something structured to watch to get through 45 minutes so I have mine set up in the garage in front of a tv with a sufferfest training DVD playing. The time goes by no problem and I actually look forward to training as i have a few different DVDs so it never gets boring. Has improved my on the road cycling massively this year already and its early in the year. I agree that standing climbs are nothing like real life cycling but it's still a good fall back if you can't get outside due to weather or time commitments.

Julia9054

Guru
If you get the sufferfest app and pay £7.99 a month you have unlimited access to all their videos. Stops it getting quite so boring. You can stop the subscription at anytime so just pay month by month and stop it in the summer.
Much cheaper than a gym membership!

Top Bottom