Why, just why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's your answer.

D

Deleted member 1258

When you post a ride to your club Facebook page specifying it's a social steady ride, do people come along and keep putting the hammer down.

D***heads

I remember a club ride many years ago when a senior club member went to the front of the group and gave out a serious B*******g to the two young lads who'd got on the front of the ride and started ripping it up.

I also remember a ride where I was riding lead and a small group came through from the back and tried the same thing, I looked at my mate and we said let them go, we didn't react and they flew over the brow of the hill and we didn't see them again.

When you post a ride to your club Facebook page specifying it's a social steady ride, do people come along and keep putting the hammer down.

D***heads
No one should go in front of the leader, except up a hill to stop at first turn. So if they don't follow the rules you needn't. So just turn off as soon as they disappear from sight, or decide you meant to go the other way round so do a 180.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They probably think that 20 mph up a 3% drag IS steady! :whistle:

We had a terrible problem with that kind of thing on one of our cycling holidays in Spain. The rides were organised in 4 categories...

1. Super-fit race training group. No prisoners taken.
  2. Fit club riders, good steady pace.
  3. Keen, but not so fit. Pace of the slowest. (My group!)
  4. Recovery and touring rides.
It usually worked but one year it all went pear-shaped when the leader of the group 1 ride led the riders out on a mountainous route. They averaged 20 mph on a very hot day, and he refused to let anyone stop for food, water or even a pee. Anybody who slowed for any reason was just blown out the back and never seen again.

Only a small number of riders actually thought that this was A Good Thing, so next day most of group #1 moved down into group #2 and turned that into what the group #1 ride should have been. On day #3 the original group #2 riders fled to group #3 and wrecked our ride! On day #4 most of the original group #3 ended up on the group #4 ride and spoiled it for them! :wacko:

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
That is why we have the following ride groups in our club, and the ride leaders enforce the speed. Also we never post the route so if someone goes off the front they will likely get lost.

Comfortable : 10 - 12MPH (including coffee cake and social)
Steady : 12 - 15MPH (Those feeling a little more daring)
Fast:18 - 25MPH (Stupidity, or just insanely fit and I am jealous I cannot ride this fast.)

I know nothing about club rides but it all seems to be taken terribly seriously doesn't it.
Only by the faster riders, everyone else is happy to see the back of them - literally.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

D***heads
It depends on how good a ride leader you are. it very easy to control a ride but a talk before the ride normally helps. I did have two wannabe racers fly off, i just took the next left, never saw them again.

Top Bottom