Why measuring the inseam done without shoe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I'd hv thought the mesurement of inseam shld be carried out wearing shoes, but the Lemond method for checking saddle ht. mentioned is best done in bare socks. Isn't its more accurate to measure with shoe since each shoe has different ht.

I'd hv thought the mesurement of inseam shld be carried out wearing shoes, but the Lemond method for checking saddle ht. mentioned is best done in bare socks. Isn't its more accurate to measure with shoe since each shoe has different ht.

sorry, there's no logic to that whatsoever.

oldroadman

Veteran
sorry, there's no logic to that whatsoever.
Is the method, measure crotch to floor with bare feet, multiply result by 0.883 to get basic setting of height to top of saddle from centre of bottom bracket axle?
If so Lemond nicked it from Bernard Hinault. Hm, Lemond/Hinault, there was a can of worms!

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Is the method, measure crotch to floor with bare feet, multiply result by 0.883 to get basic setting of height to top of saddle from centre of bottom bracket axle?
If so Lemond nicked it from Bernard Hinault. Hm, Lemond/Hinault, there was a can of worms!
There is a table listed various inseam measurement. So after checking the inseam, do we still have to multiply by 0.883 then compare this figure against the chart? This wasn't explain clearly in his article.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
I also found a Hamley chart which set your saddle higher by a few inches. Why such a huge discrepancy, though the article acknowledged Lemond chart is mainly for roadracer and Hamley for track sprinter. So just a commuter but enjoy weekend exercising, shld I follow Lemond?

Top Bottom