Why must everyone have a Mountain Bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A mate of mine has been told to get some extra exercise, specifically cucling, by the doc to combat hypertension. Now, he doesn't drive so he'll not be loading the bike and taking it off-road - and I know him too well, he doesn't like going somewhere just for the enjoyment of the journey - on holidays he'd rather watch DVDs or find a pub then go for a walk "just to go and come back again - what's the point?" - so I know for a fact he won't get as far as cycling out to the peak district to use an off-road bike. It's not that he's lazy, he does have active hobbies such as airsoft, he just can't see the enjoyment in the journey.

He's asked me to help him choose a bike, and has come back with an example of the bikes he likes

Now, I appreciate drop handlebars aren't everyone's cup of tea so not everyone wants a road bike, and there's an image thing...but he likes black, urban styles, he'd make a great ninja, so I'm trying to direct him to the fakenger style, with a bike to suit (although not SS!!!)

I can see myself having difficulty persuading him that an MTB is not the best option - though thankfully the models he likes both happen to be hardtails with lock-out forks so that's one thing

Now, in the 80s and early 90s, MTBs did a lot for cycling IMO, making cycling "cool" again unlike the grange-hill-bike-shed falcon 5-speeds (though i was never cool, I always had the 5-speeds.

There are so many more options out there....why do some people have to have a "mountain bike or nothing" - which inevitably ends up rusting away or given away?

mightyquin

How did people cycle up and down mountains before mountain bikes came along? I've found a book on bikes from 1979 and the term 'mountain bike' doesn't appear anywhere, nor are there any obvious equivalents!

I think most uninformed people see chunky tyres and suspension and just assume that's going to be better than a rigid frame and skinny wheels!

If the objective is for your friend to get fit through cycling, then a heavy mtb with chunky tyres will do him far better than a light weight roadie frame with slicks.

If I had to choose one bike to keep, it would be a mountain bike.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have a cheap BSO* which I use to go to the shops, etc, when the weather is crap and which I can abuse a bit. I'll ride it until it falls apart! (although preferably not as I am riding it) :biggrin:
I do have to agree with you though, there is more to life than mountain bikes (my other bike is a FELT S22 TT bike :becool:).

* -A Universal Mantis Y shaped BSO thingy which I got for £30. If anyone was desperate to steal it, I am sure I'd find it abandonned about 100 yards down the road :laugh:.

DTD

Veteran
I've never rode a mountain bike. WIll have to have a go.

If your friend's a bit of an urban ninja – How about a stealthy Cannondale BadBoy?

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I read somewhere that at one point, in the '90s, about 99% of all bikes sold in the UK were mountain bikes.

Road bikes are gradually becoming popular again, but the chances are if you ask someone to visualise a bicycle, it will have chunky tyres and a suspension fork.

They are ingrained in our consciousness, perceived as being able to do anything (which they can, with a bit of effort).

If when the European Commission tell me I'm only allowed to have one bicycle, it'll be a hardtail mountain bike. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
MTBs are the 'default' choice for bikes with Joe Public... I know various non-regular-cycling people at work who've got bikes recently (without asking my opinion, the fools) and each has got a BSO/MTB with suspension on the suspension and chunks on top of the chunks on the tyres. It's like cheese... when people want bog-standard cheese, they think of cheddar.
smile.gif

snailracer

Über Member
Before the mountain bike craze there was the 10-speed craze - cheap road "racing" bikes with weak wheels, feeble brakes and delicate frames. Modern road bikes haven't managed to shake off this image of mechanical inadequacy in the mind of the general public, which is why chunky mountain bikes are the default and more popular choice.

Also a "BSO" mountain bike or hybrid costs £70 - there is no equivalent road bike at that price point.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It's like cheese... when people want bog-standard cheese, they think of cheddar.
smile.gif

Yeah, but there's a reason cheddar is so popular- it's the best cheese in the world. Especially farmhouse mature.

What's a 'BSO?' Bog Standard... Oriental?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If the objective is for your friend to get fit through cycling, then a heavy mtb with chunky tyres will do him far better than a light weight roadie frame with slicks.

If I had to choose one bike to keep, it would be a mountain bike.

I agree. If I could only have one bike, I'd get a mountain bike.

They're very versatile.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The RSF members have only fairly recently used MTBs: for years ordinary cycles have been used off road. I use a touring cycle or my folder for ALL my cycling and it is not solely on tarmac! MTBs are a late 70s American invention.

jethro10

Über Member
Quite an emotive dislike of MTB's
wink.gif

However I have one, my only bike, a hardtail. It's comfortable - simple.

I can do everything there is on an MTB, from cycling with friends on country lanes, to red routes at 7staines.
I can't do many of those things on a road bike.

so I'm slower on a road, so what. At least I'm looking over a hedge at the scenery rather than at the tarmac getting a sore back.

I can't see that anything other than an MTB can be that versatile and comfortable really.

It's like hatchback cars, invented what, in the 70's now everyone has one. Maybe not the best cars in the world, but truly versatile, like a (proper) MTB.

Jeff

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Quite an emotive dislike of MTB's
wink.gif

However I have one, my only bike, a hardtail. It's comfortable - simple.

I can do everything there is on an MTB, from cycling with friends on country lanes, to red routes at 7staines.
I can't do many of those things on a road bike.

so I'm slower on a road, so what. At least I'm looking over a hedge at the scenery rather than at the tarmac getting a sore back.

I can't see that anything other than an MTB can be that versatile and comfortable really.

It's like hatchback cars, invented what, in the 70's now everyone has one. Maybe not the best cars in the world, but truly versatile, like a (proper) MTB.

Jeff

Fully agree Jeff, if I could only have one bike then, as above, it would be a hardtail.

I think the point was just that they're the primary bike of choice when there is never any intention of taking it off road.
I love mountain bikes, in fact I have two
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom