Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
My Uncle, Alan Boden, had no problems with his gears, winning three bronze medals in the National TT races in different years. That made him the third fastest cyclist in the country at his chosen distance in his day.

View attachment 405021
We’re others using the same gear numbers or did they have 12 speed though?

All jokes aside, that’s a great achievement and an awesome pic btw!

I still ride one. Drive chains last for years :thumbsup:
Isn't there a problem getting 7 speed hubs though? I upgraded a 7 speed to 8 and managed to buy up spare quality shifters etc just before all of those disappeared. In its final days as a 7 speed I well remember someone on a ride saying (without any malice or snobbery I stress) "I've never seen a 7 speed bike". All full of wonder they were.

bpsmith

Veteran
That was standard time trial gearing back in the day, the only time you saw a double chainset on a TT bike was if someone also did road racing and used the same bike for both.
It’s before I was into cycling, so I am genuinely interested in the tech at Pro level, so thank you for that. :smile:

What I was trying to say, with the other point, was that the rider was amazing with 3 speed but if others were on 7 speed (for example) could they have beaten him? That’s basically what’s being discussed in this thread with the suggestion that 11/12 speed is pointless when 7/8 speed will suffice. Just poising the question, not trolling.

ChrisEyles

Guru
All other things being equal, I'd have thought the racer on an 11 speed set up would have a small advantage over one on a 7 speed.

In terms of enjoying riding your bike, or how far/fast you can ride when not measured to three significant figures, I don't think it makes much difference (though it can be a lot of fun tinkering around "upgrading" your bike for sure!).

Most important thing by far is to have a low enough bottom gear to get you up the hills you regularly cycle comfortably.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I always thought more gears are better but an 11 speed with a 54/34 on the front is a step down from a triple 8 speed especially for the heavier rider.
Can you explain why? I'm intrigued.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Interesting thread that I have only just noticed. Let me tell you a story. Try to stay awake at the back!
Last Sunday, I cocked up the meeting point for the B ride. I usually ride this because it is easy going with plenty of stops. I'm big, heavy and ancient and don't regard myself as a fast rider at all. Nobody at the meeting point! Then an A rider turned up. Saying he was going to meet the A ride some 15 miles away at the coffee stop. I should come with him. Said I would be fine. Well ok. We set off at a hundred miles an hour [or thereabouts]. I motored through the Cheshire lanes, up and down hill, breathing hard, at the side of the Froome lookalike on his carbon steed.
After coffee, unbeknown to me, I was in the fast pack for the ride to the lunch stop. Jeez...
icon_surprised.gif

Crazy, to me, pace. But I stuck it out all day even having conversations. Must admit my thighs were on fire. The day finished with some 70 miles under the belt and an average speed of 17/18Mph. And I was still there, but a wreck! I sometimes think we don't realise what we are capable of. I changed gears without noticing and stayed with the TDF minded guys. My bike? A 1980s Dawes Super Galaxy with heavy standard wheels and Marathon thick treaded tyres. I was supposed to be doing some Off road with the B's. I was on a 7speed triple, don't even know the size but it's a standard bike with DT shifters. Where am I going with this? I think it's the heart, lungs and legs we should look after.
Took Monday off though. knackered.
23728875981_5da84cbf24_z.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
Isn't there a problem getting 7 speed hubs though? I upgraded a 7 speed to 8 and managed to buy up spare quality shifters etc just before all of those disappeared. In its final days as a 7 speed I well remember someone on a ride saying (without any malice or snobbery I stress) "I've never seen a 7 speed bike". All full of wonder they were.
Plenty of new 7 speed bikes about. Cheap road bikes or decent Hybrids.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Let's face it a lot of it is marketing hype I recall my amazement when I first got back on my bike that cycles changed every year bit like new plates on cars.

Every so often the tech does improve its being able to spot when..

With the group sets they rather cleverly introduce the new tech in the highest value first so milk the cash rich first and the move it down yearly.

There is only so much you can do and also let's be honest you could stick me on the best bike in the world and it wouldn't polish this turd enough that I could compete in cat 3 let alone race pro.

But I do feel there is sweet spot xash wise where my enjoyment is inceeased. Of course it will be different for everyone hence such a wide band of bikes to lust after.

Like any hobby they know the weak spots...

Plenty of new 7 speed bikes about. Cheap road bikes or decent Hybrids.
Yes I had that impression. And also 8 speed bikes.

But what are those hubs? What quality?

I stress that I am no bike snob and no racer but I need decent stuff - just regreased a pair of XT hubs that are on their second pair of wheels on an entirely different bike - had them 15 years.

With the group sets they rather cleverly introduce the new tech in the highest value first so milk the cash rich first and the move it down yearly.

Have long since stopped clicking on the links from the likes of chainreaction promising mega discounts on groupsets - it's always stuff I personally have no need of whatsoever, is worse for my purposes, and even at the so called bargain prices strikes me as just barmy for anyone but a racer. German retailers are often the answer.

Top Bottom