Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not seeking an argument with you smokin joe for I like your posts, but is this true? For "cyclists in general" surely it just matters that you have a low enough gear. Am not arguing against big sprockets on the back. My 26 inch wheel expedition bike for instance has a 36T. But the bike is still only 9 speed.
That's what suits you, so stick with it as you are spot on for your needs. But as I've said previously, we all have different engines so what suits one would be no good for someone else.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

raleighnut

Legendary Member
DSCN0179.JPG

105 10 speed rear mech and 10 speed 105 standard double crank with 6 speed freewheel and friction shifters. :angel:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Five speeds with relatively high gears were all that was required most of the time and it was common to see some riders on a fixed wheel

I know a few riders who still use fixed for TTs. I've been thinking of sticking a set of clip-on TT bars on my fixed for next time I do the club 10. I can see a lot of sense in it.

Also a lot of hill climb racers use fixed gear, mainly for lower weight. Again, it doesn't matter if you only have one gear, as long as it's the right gear for that climb.

I recall a thread some time ago discussing the advisability of going up Ditchling Beacon on a single speed. I pointed out that I always go up it on a single speed. The single speed in question being my bottom gear, as I've never changed up while ascending it.
Never got up it in the saddle or even on the bike. The whole one time I tried! But the new setup is designed to let me have another go.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I know a few riders who still use fixed for TTs. I've been thinking of sticking a set of clip-on TT bars on my fixed for next time I do the club 10. I can see a lot of sense in it.

Also a lot of hill climb racers use fixed gear, mainly for lower weight. Again, it doesn't matter if you only have one gear, as long as it's the right gear for that climb.
If it’s a constant climb, then fair enough. If it varies then there is no right gear for every aspect of the climb.

gds58

Über Member
I always thought more gears are better but an 11 speed with a 54/34 on the front is a step down from a triple 8 speed especially for the heavier rider.
Nonsense on so many levels! I’ve never seen or heard of a double chainset with 54/34 combination as there isn’t a road front mech (Double) that could cope with a 20t differential on chainrings. Secondly an 8 Speed triple (3x8) will have so many gear overlaps or almost identical gears that whilst you may have 24 gears to choose from, in reality many are so close to each other as to not make any discernible difference thereby making them redundant. This is why there has been a big move towards 1 x 11 and 1 x 12 systems. I have seen gear charts which show that these systems have 94% of the same total range as a 2 x 10 set-up and they are all usable gears.

gds58

Über Member
It works perfectly well on my touring setup.

View attachment 405002

The gearing is not too high (you would will never reach road bike speeds anyway when loaded up) and has a granny gear and 32 rear cogs. MTB drivetrains are well suited for climbs, which are perfect for a loaded touring bike.

Disclaimer, I use the older 9 speed model which can be had cheap, not the 1x11 (which might limit you on the top or bottom end depending on the cassette/chainring combination.)

Wow that is one beautiful bike. I love it and I bet you can spend all day in extreme comfort even when fully loaded up!

U

User6179

Nonsense on so many levels! I’ve never seen or heard of a double chainset with 54/34 combination as there isn’t a road front mech (Double) that could cope with a 20t differential on chainrings. Secondly an 8 Speed triple (3x8) will have so many gear overlaps or almost identical gears that whilst you may have 24 gears to choose from, in reality many are so close to each other as to not make any discernible difference thereby making them redundant. This is why there has been a big move towards 1 x 11 and 1 x 12 systems. I have seen gear charts which show that these systems have 94% of the same total range as a 2 x 10 set-up and they are all usable gears.

I meant to type 50 not 54 obviously

Look at my other post for the reasons I find a triple better for my needs, I do own an 11 speed bike btw.

swansonj

Guru
My progressive adaptations of my previous touring bike ended up with a perfectly satisfactory 46/24 front double (12-32 7 speed at rear).

Top Bottom