Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So what we've established is that back in the olden days people used to race using the equipment that was available at the time...

bpsmith

Veteran
So what we've established is that back in the olden days people used to race using the equipment that was available at the time...
If you believe this thread, they used to race on single speed, when 3 speed was available. Who needs more than 1 gear anyway?

One or two random points:

Yes, people still use Campagnolo. I have nothing else, since my cycling experience goes back to the days when there was a choice between "stuff that broke" and Campagnolo. It particularly suits people with small hands. I know one or two women riders who struggle to shift on to the big ring of Shimano systems because of the awkwardness of the swinging brake lever.

I have not found 11 speed chains to be fragile or quick-wearing. I have passed 6000km on a Campagnolo 11 speed chain and it still shows no wear on the gauge. Admittedly, this is on a fair-weather "best bike".

I have 9, 10 and 11 speed bikes. The 11 speed is without doubt the slickest, lightest and the most pleasurable to use. Justification enough, since I ride for pleasure.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And the very best that was available too. Were the likes of Burton, Engers, Simpson and the other greats riding today they'd all be on carbon framed bikes with electronic shifting and all the other high tech kit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw her ride once and I could not believe how low her cadence was. It didn't slow her down, though.

Proves the point about everyone having their own natural cadence.
Actually, it just shows that she was very determined and powerful; for all we know, she might have been even quicker with a different setup. Just look at her position on the bike, for instance. That was how top riders rode then but no top riders do it like that now.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Actually, it just shows that she was very determined and powerful; for all we know, she might have been even quicker with a different setup. Just look at her position on the bike, for instance. That was how top riders rode then but no top riders do it like that now.
Yes, but based on the knowledge we had at the time that was seen as the most efficient riding style for speed. Had someone demonstrated a better method to those riders they'd have been on it like a shot.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I read somewhere it was Lance Armstrong who popularised high cadence riding, inasmuch as other riders saw him winning doing it - and other things, but that's not important right now.

The pic of Beryl Burton shows her riding what appears to be a very highly geared bike, particularly for a lady.

Spinning that top gear would be some effort for a fit male rider.

bpsmith

Veteran
That’s fair enough, unless someone can chime in with information we don’t know.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that she didn’t try any other gearing and just rode solely with what is shown.

Alan O

Über Member
I read somewhere it was Lance Armstrong who popularised high cadence riding, inasmuch as other riders saw him winning doing it - and other things, but that's not important right now.
He might have re-popularised it, but I remember high cadence being touted as the thing to do back when Lance was still only on aspirin. For example, my 1979 edition of Richard's says "Generally, novices run from 60 to 85 strokes per minute, experienced tourists approach 100, and racers run 120-30 and up. Most people gear too high and pedal too slowly."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Personally, I find it hard to believe that she didn’t try any other gearing and just rode solely with what is shown.
It would be interesting to know such things but unless somebody has meticulously documented the details of such experiments we are unlikely to ever find out.

If I had been a serious rider, I would have experimented with everything.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

I think that like most of us she grew up copying what the top riders of the day did. You tend to think that if they are all doing it then it must be the right way.

Interestingly enough, it was purely a time trial thing. Even TT riders reverted to standard gearing when they competed in road races (Although there was not much crossover in men's cycling back then) as they were held on hillier courses.

Top Bottom