Why put tapered bars on a commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The 'what's on your bars' thread has reminded me I needed to rant. The Sirrus has flat tapered bars on it so naturally all the stuff I try and attach to it isn't being tightened on to a normal bar. Couple this with the stupid knurled nut affair on the Cat Eye light and getting anything properly tight is a real pain. I've added inner tube under clamps to help pad it and give grip but even so last night I found myself exiting the quickest, but bumpy hill, with the Garmin pointing forwards, the Cat Eye pointing at the ground and the Hope 1 spun round so it was shining straight in to my face.

I'm sure they are super strong and all that, but I'll be looking out for, and avoiding, it should I ever be in the market for a replacement bike. Stupid things.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The 'what's on your bars' thread has reminded me I needed to rant. The Sirrus has flat tapered bars on it so naturally all the stuff I try and attach to it isn't being tightened on to a normal bar. Couple this with the stupid knurled nut affair on the Cat Eye light and getting anything properly tight is a real pain. I've added inner tube under clamps to help pad it and give grip but even so last night I found myself exiting the quickest, but bumpy hill, with the Garmin pointing forwards, the Cat Eye pointing at the ground and the Hope 1 spun round so it was shining straight in to my face.

I'm sure they are super strong and all that, but I'll be looking out for, and avoiding, it should I ever be in the market for a replacement bike. Stupid things.
Buy some new untapered bars, dont cost much and saves you all the grief

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Engage ignorance - Won't I need a new stem, etc? I've considered this, but the bit in the middle is very thick, the bit at the ends (where the grips are) are the right size for my hands. A bar that was all the size at the grips would 'rattle about somewhat' in the stem, similarly one that was all the width at the stem would be too thick to grip. Or do they do bars that just have a thick bit in the middle and thin bits coming our rather than tapering at all?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My Giant rapid suffers from the same characteristics- I've resorted to cutting length ways the little rubber inserts which old the clamp in place to try to even it up- nonetheless it is a pain in the whatsit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You will need to change the stem as well, I assume you have a 31.8 (or so) stem/bar clamp combo but aluminium bars can come with a smaller section to fit the smaller clamp on other stems. Might also give you the chance to make some comfort changes (if needed) plus the old ones can be sold on.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
bars are oversize to give them strength where its most needed. The thought of a bar snapping makes problems attaching lights etc insignificant really. Cant you attach your bits and bobs to the parralel part of the bar near the stem?

sheffgirl

I've borrowed my OH's old Giant for night rides a few times and found I have to stop a few times because the light had slipped and was pointing at the front wheel, and I couldn't see ahead of me.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I found that wrapping insulating tape round the bar (doesn't have to be over a shim unless required) and deliberately letting it wrinkle created enough grip to stop the lights slipping.

compo

Veteran
I have oversize 31.8mm bars and find it easier to use a bar extender to mount my lights than trying to get my lights on the taper of the bars.

sheffgirl

Just taken a look at my new bike, it has tapered bars but the 'fat' bit in the middle is quite long, so it will be good for fitting my light bracket on :smile:

Top Bottom